Senior Scientist I - Policy Analysis / Climate Change
- Organization: IRRI - International Rice Research Institute
- Location: Philippines
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Political Affairs
- Legal - Broad
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Scientist and Researcher
- Climate Change
- Closing Date: 2023-06-16
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Climate Change impacts rice production through exacerbated and more frequent climate extremes, rising sea levels and temperatures. Understanding future trends is crucial to plan ahead and implement adaptation options to increase resilience of agricultural systems. Working with various national and international partners in different projects, IRRI develops strategies to mitigate climate change (effects) and to adapt to climate change, e.g., through the development and dissemination of climate-smart technologies and supporting policy analyses in rice-growing and –consuming countries.
The Sustainable Impact through Rice-based cropping Systems (SIRS) Platform aims at developing and promoting climate-smart, nature-friendly rice-based farming systems and value chains. Within the platform, the research unit “Impact assessment, evaluation, policy, and foresight (IEPF)" deals specifically with foresight of market trends and future developments in the rice sector, policy analyses and policy support, ex-ante and ex-post impact assessments of IRRI’s research, and general monitoring and evaluation support for IRRI projects and activities. Within this unit, a research position is open in the field of ‘Policy analysis and climate change’ (see ‘purpose’ below), which will be part of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists to address climate change challenges in the rice sector.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and is open for international applications.
Roles and Responsibilities
The incumbent will develop and lead an IRRI research program on socio-economic and policy analyses on climate change in the national, regional, and global rice sector(s). This program will contribute to IRRI’s overall climate change agenda. The focus of his/her work will be around the following key areas and responsibilities:
- Analyze current and future trends in the rice sector as affected by climate change
- Conduct of national, regional, and global policy analyses and support to mitigate – and/or adapt to – the effects of climate change
- Conduct of socio-economic analyses to support IRRI’s climate change research-for-development (R4D) agenda
- Development and leadership (scientific and managerial) of a strong R4D team on the above topics
- Resource mobilization to support the above-mentioned R4D program. Strong donor engagement for resource mobilization
- Collaborate with governments, donors, rice R&D partners, and private enterprises to align with client and donor expectations; across CGIAR initiatives and other IRRI projects
- Contribute to developing strategic partnerships, knowledge sharing, and capacity development of various stakeholders
- Nurture and initiate collaboration with NARES partners, private sector and development partners, advanced research institutions (ARI) and policymakers, and conduct joint research
- Communicate key messages and project progress with donors, policymakers, and other primary stakeholders
- Develop new projects together with IRRI colleagues, ARIs, and NARES in Africa
- Supervise, and mentor junior staff
- Demonstrate scientific leadership through publications and representing IRRI in scientific and strategy forums
- World-class R4D agenda on socio-economic and policy analyses on climate change in the national, regional, and global rice sector(s)
- National, regional, and global policy analyses of impact of climate change and in support of adoption of adaptation and/or mitigation options
- Regular socio-economic analyses to support IRRI’s climate change research-for-development (R4D) agenda
- Effective partnerships with governments, public, and private sector parties, including leading R&D entities (ARIs) in the region;
- Articles in peer-reviewed journals, proceedings, technical manuals, and training materials that highlight findings from research activities, showcasing the incumbent’s scientific leadership
- Effective resource mobilization strategy and a well-funded portfolio of R4D projects
- Well-functioning and effective R4D team based on principles of mutual trust and respect for gender and inclusion
- PhD in Applied economics, agricultural economics, policy analyses, or related fields with at least 8+ years post-PhD
- Strong background in socio-economic or policy oriented research
- Understanding and experience with qualitative, quantitative or mixed-methods tools and models
- Excellent knowledge of econometrics techniques for ex-ante and exp-post impact assessment
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English
- Experience with rice; work experience in a developing country environment; experience in climate change research
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.