CONSULTANT TO DEVELOP A LEGAL DICTIONARY ON COMMONLY USED LEGAL TERMS FOR TRANSCRIBERS
The integration of digital technology in the administration of justice is an ongoing initiative of the Judiciary, anchored on the Chief Justice’s Vision for the Judiciary “Social Transformation through Access to Justice (STAJ) and the Judiciary’s Digital Strategy. Implementation of the strategy focuses on the automation of processes to make the courts accessible, efficient, cost-effective, accountable, and streamlined. The Judiciary has introduced e-filing, e-payments, e-registries, court recording and transcription, and virtual court hearings in select courts. Under the strategy, the Judiciary piloted court recording and transcription in the Commercial and Tax Division of the High Court in 2016 to facilitate the digital audio and video recording of court sessions and the preparation of transcripts.
However, the Judiciary staff who provide the transcription often have limited legal literacy required to fully appreciate the legal terms used in court proceedings in court proceedings. This limitation slows down the transcription process as the staff may misunderstand terms, thus affecting their ability to accurately capture court proceedings in the transcripts. It is, therefore, necessary to provide these Judiciary staff with a reference tool for the most used legal terms in judicial proceedings, to enhance their appreciation of legal terms and contribute to transcription speed and accuracy.
IDLO, in partnership with the Information, Commination, and Technology (ICT) Directorate of the Judiciary and the Kenya Judiciary Academy (KJA) seeks to engage a consultant to develop a Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms for Transcribers.
The Consultant’s responsibilities will include:
- Undertake comprehensive desk research on the commonly used legal terms in judicial proceedings, with a focus on the commercial courts in Kenya.
- Informed by the findings of the desk research, develop a Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms in judicial proceedings in Kenya.
- Present the draft Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms in judicial proceedings in Kenya to the Judiciary ICT Directorate, KJA, and IDLO for concurrence and validation.
- Translate the validated Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms in judicial proceedings in Kenya in a Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) format to be imported into the KJA e-learning platform.
- Present the final draft of the Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms for in judicial proceedings in Kenya to the Judiciary’s ICT Directorate, KJA, and IDLO.
The Expert will deliver the following:
- An Inception report detailing the understanding of the assignment, methodology, timelines, and work plan, within the first seven days of the assignment.
- Desk research report and materials on the commonly used legal terms in judicial proceedings, with a focus on the commercial courts in Kenya, within 30 days of the assignment.
- The final Legal Dictionary on Commonly used Legal Terms in judicial proceedings in Kenya, presented in a publication and SCORM formats, respectively, within 45 days of the assignment.
- An assignment completion report and the source of information that was relied upon to generate the report within 60 days of the assignment.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a University recognized in Kenya.
- Post Graduate Diploma from Kenya School of Law.
- An advocate of the High Court with at least five years post-admission experience.
- At least five years of experience in legal practice, legal research, and legal writing, including proof of writing.
- Demonstrated grasp of web development of e-publications
- Demonstrated experience delivering on assignments of a similar nature.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Excellent work ethic founded on the principles of integrity and confidentiality.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and other relevant computer applications.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organisational needs as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
Application closing date: 26th September 2022