Protection Team Leader
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
DRC Ukraine is looking for a highly qualified Protection Team Leader based in Kharkiv.
Overall purpose of the role
In the close cooperation of the Protection Manager will:
• Will lead protection program activities in the field
• Deliver technical support and guidance to the team
• Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the protection program activities being implemented by DRC
• Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders, and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
- Provide leadership, management, and support to the Protection Staff in the implementation of general protection activities
- Ensure that the Monitoring Evaluation and Referrals are done accordingly by the Protection Staff
- Contribute to the project planning and implementation at the field level
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Document case studies, best practices, and lessons learned from the cases handled by the protection staff
- Support the protection team in the implementation of protection activities
- Carry out protection monitoring, data collection and documenting the needs of the persons of concern
- Plan and participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns of the persons of concern
- Participate in joint assessments, identifying protection concerns and reporting
- Support mapping of services and development of effective referral pathways
- Identify, conduct, and follow up referral
- Ensure adequate and relevant data collection
- Draft protection monitoring reports, provide input in designing protection monitoring tools and formats when required
- Planning and conducting interviews with beneficiaries, focus group discussions and Conduction of key‐informant interviews and drafting of the relevant reports
- Regular reporting to the Area manager of the activities implemented
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the area manager, relevant to the achievement of protection objectives
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC in protection meetings as required and draft of relevant minutes and communicated as required
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Contributing to the program tools development
- Project implementation and reporting
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for people management of employees, usually working in the same area of work
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
- Participating in hiring and termination of employees and conducting performance appraisals
Required experience and competencies:
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response and refugee protection working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
- Minimum 3 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Proven management skills and competence in people management
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional knowledge of English
- Field experience
- High professional ethics
Contract length: 6 months (January 2023 with possibility of extension based on successful probation period and available funding)
Start date: ASAP
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: September 25, 2022
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo