Senior Program Management Advisor (Francophone) - Global Remote
Senior Program Management Advisor
Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL) is a global health organization that aims to save millions of lives by reducing preventable deaths from cardiovascular disease and preventing infectious disease epidemics. Since September 2017, the Prevent Epidemics team at RTSL has been working closely with governments, the World Health Organization, the World Bank, and academic and other partners to strengthen national capacity to prevent, detect and respond to epidemic threats. Some key initiatives include Program Management for Epidemic Preparedness (PMEP) to grow institutional leadership and management capabilities and 7-1-7 to establish a global goal for early detection and response. For more information, visit Prevent Epidemics | Resolve to Save Lives.
RTSL's Learning and Capacity Development (LCD) team strengthens program management capabilities (e.g., governance, accountability, and leadership) across key public sector institutions to ensure countries can prevent, detect and respond to epidemics in an effective and timely manner. Research shows that a country’s performance during an infectious disease outbreak is linked to its ability to partner across multisectoral stakeholders, coordinate at national and subnational levels with appropriate political leadership, engage communities, and continuously develop and strengthen public health system capacity to prevent and stop outbreaks. The LCD team accompanies national and sub-national teams to enable institutions to adopt strategic management solutions, develop consistent quality improvement practices, and create enabling environments for preventing epidemics. With a commitment to connect, simplify, and scale proven approaches, we create opportunities for shared learning among partners and across countries.
Role Summary: The Senior Program Management Advisor will apply a systems approach to reinforce country-level leadership and management capabilities for epidemic preparedness and foster learning between countries. To strengthen preparedness capabilities, this individual will accompany senior and mid-level government leaders in African francophone and anglophone countries (e.g., the Democratic Republic of Congo) to tailor and adopt program management approaches that enable implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of International Health Regulations (IHR). This individual will also help refine and scale the Program Management for Epidemic Preparedness initiative to bolster peer-to-peer learning and contribute to the adoption of 7-1-7 and functional assessments.
This is a full-time employment position, reporting to the Director, Learning and Capacity Development. The incumbent is expected to work remotely in GMT or US EST time zones. This position requires international travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Program Management Advisor will work under the direction of the Director, Learning and Capacity Development (LCD). They will collaborate with colleagues within the LCD team and other units within Resolve to Save Lives (e.g., Epidemic Intelligence Unit, Global Preparedness and Response, Legal and Advocacy, Digital) to fulfill the following responsibilities:
Synchronize program delivery and technical assistance to support national preparedness teams and initiatives e.g.,
- Oversee and tailor RTSL’s technical assistance strategies and plans for the country context
- Partner with national and sub-national teams to assess national health security landscape and identify technical, operational, and political priorities
- Partner and coordinate with relevant RTSL and external experts (e.g., IHR implementation, surveillance, financing, legislation, and strategic advocacy) to foster an enabling environment for the success of preparedness initiatives
- Synthesize and apply strategic learning to improve program delivery
- Coordinate and manage relevant partnerships (e.g., WHO, World Bank, Africa CDC, PATH) to reinforce program strategy and operational delivery
- Support design and facilitation of efficient assessment and planning exercises (e.g., strategic risks assessments, joint external evaluations, prioritization, operational planning, after action reviews) that result in quality deliverables and strong stakeholder ownership
- Support and advise on adoption of in-country mutual accountability and performance tracking processes and tools
- Develop clear, evidence-informed proposals and budgets to support new initiatives
Facilitate Program Management Capacity Development in francophone countries e.g.,
- Lead training content development and facilitation of Program Management for Epidemic Preparedness training for francophone countries in partnership with WHO Africa office
- Accompany multi-sectoral national government teams through coaching, participatory problem-solving, and just-in-time training to develop well-prioritized National Action Plans for Health Security and functional accountability and quality improvement mechanisms
- Identify and implement approaches to bolster dynamic peer exchange and relationship building between health security professionals within and across francophone countries.
Test and implement novel approaches for health security systems improvement e.g.
- Facilitate rapid prototyping of solutions that can help national preparedness teams more easily adopt 7-1-7 as a target and approach for accountability and quality improvement
- Advise and support countries or technical partners to tailor and implement 7-1-7 approach to new contexts
Required skills and qualifications:
- Proficient in French; have worked in francophone Africa
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., management, public health, public policy)
- 8+ years’ experience working at the intersection of health systems strengthening and program management in low or middle-income countries
- 5+ years’ experience working within or closely with government in low or middle-income countries
- Have facilitated capacity assessment and strategic planning with government stakeholders
- Have experience in epidemic response and preparedness e.g., in an emergency operations center, or participated in Joint External Evaluations or After-Action Review exercises
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience
- Strong abilities to coach and partner with leaders in low- and middle-income countries
- Have successfully led teams and complex projects; can lead with or without formal authority
- Good at organizing workflows, timelines and paying attention to essential details
- Skilled at asking for, receiving, and integrating feedback from different perspectives
- Have a resilient attitude; energized about navigating complexity, paradox, or ambiguity
- Training and facilitation expertise
- Strong in-person and virtual facilitator; can design clear agendas and practical curricula and toolkits
- Skilled at using best practices in adult learning and behavioral change theory
- Data and quality improvement experience
- Can analyze data and provide clear summary statistics, graphs, tables, as well as clear data interpretations that support decision making
- Able to assist groups to adopt quality improvement methods into routine practice
- Strong communication skills
- Can demonstrate empathy, humility and good judgement when working across cultures
- Skilled at using digital communication and management tools; proficient user of Microsoft Office suite
- Have project management or quality improvement credentials (e.g., PMI, Lean Six Sigma).
- Have worked with or within multilateral organizations (e.g., WHO, World Bank, Africa CDC).
- Are knowledgeable about participatory or human-centered design methods e.g., design sprints.
- Familiar with the application of behavioral science to planning, management and decision-making.
- Demonstrated experience in helping establish National Public Health institutes