Child Protection Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya Grade: 6 Gross Salary: KES 150,144.15 Supervisor: Social Work & Child Protection Program Manager Supervision Given: None
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the worlds at risk refugees. We work to fill the critical and unmet needs of people affected by war and conflict that have fallen through the net of humanitarian assistance, particularly women, children, and urban refugees.
The primary responsibility of this role is to carry out identification, assessment, and case management for children. The Child Protection Officer is tasked with assessing and reporting on children's well-being and best interest in RefugePoint programs. This role provides technical support to other staff to ensure they observe child safeguarding standards when engaging with children.
The core responsibilities of this position:
- Identify, assess, refer, and follow up to ensure children, UAM and SC are provided with appropriate support;
- Ensure Best Interest Assessments (BIA), and Best Interest Determination (BID) are completed for all UAM and SC following their identification as RP clients;
- Actively participate in internal BID panels as well as UNHCR convened BID panels;
- Conduct case management for children in close coordination with other units. This includes home visits, engaging directly with children to promote their general well-being;
- Conduct care plan reviews for children, UAM and SC identified for assistance and are provided with appropriate support;
- Promote community-based protection mechanisms such as alternative care arrangements for UAM and SC to enable adult household members to provide appropriate care. Conduct community dialogues with children and other sessions to increase community participation in child protection;
- Make referrals and recommendations to the Medical, Livelihoods, Outreach, Social Work, and Counseling units to ensure that caregivers of UAM and SC receive support promptly;
- Link and refer refugee children, UAM, and SC to community resources, government agencies, and other partners when appropriate;
- Represent RefugePoint in child protection forums;
- Participate in field-building initiatives by identifying the capacity gaps of partners, including the community-based Organizations, Refugee Led Organizations (RLO), and responding to those gaps through training and other relevant interventions;
- Provide support and coverage for education program activities as assigned.
- Update Salesforce with basic case information, dated case notes on activities and referrals, assessments and recommendations, and comprehensively complete necessary forms.
- Update children's files with session notes to depict child protection-specific interventions;
- Provide a monthly report on individual core tasks to the Program Manager.
Attend to other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in counseling psychology, social work, education, or a related social science technical field;
- At least two years of demonstrated experience in child protection programs;
- Knowledge of child protection case management processes;
- Experience in conducting and reviewing Best Interest Assessments and Best Interest Determination;
- Proven ability to organize and conduct training;
- Ability to network with various partners, including government children's services;
- Experience working with communities and vulnerable groups;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Social competence skills, diplomacy, and a team worker;
- A high degree of cultural sensitivity and ability to adjust to change;
- Ability to deal with conflict situations;
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy;
- Experience working with refugees in urban areas.
- A current Police Clearance Certificate
All our job postings are found under this link:
The link for this particular posting is:
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: