Internship - On-Site Inspection Division
|On-Site Inspection Division
|Type of Appointment:
|Date of Issuance:
|31 October 2022
|Deadline for Applications:
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
The CTBTO awards a limited number of internships to university students and recent graduates from diverse academic background. Its purpose is to provide a learning and development experience in a field related to the Commission’s activities specialized in various professional fields. Interns usually work on specific practical assignments. Opportunities for internships are available subject to the current needs of the individual divisions within the CTBTO.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
On-site inspection (OSI) is the final component of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) verification regime. Once the Treaty enters into force (EiF), Member States will be able to request an inspection to gather further evidence on the ground if the global monitoring system detects a possible nuclear explosion. As well as establishing whether a nuclear explosion has been carried out, facts might also be gathered to identify who was responsible for a Treaty violation. It is the ultimate verification measure under the CTBT.
In preparation for EiF, the CTBTO is charged with building up the on-site inspection capability – training potential inspectors, preparing and testing equipment and procedures, developing a detailed Operational Manual, as well as designing and conducting a variety of challenging OSI desk-based and field exercises.
Duties and Responsibilties
Under the overall supervision of the responsible Section Chief, and/or in coordination with the responsible Officer, to:
- Contribute to policy discussions about OSI and related to the CTBT;
- Assist with research on a theme relating to OSI, which, depending on expertise and interest could touch on policy, strategic, legal, or scientific/technical aspects of on-site inspections;
- Contribute to process improvements in line with good practice in project management;
- Contribute to the planning and/or conduct of OSI training, field tests and/or exercises;
- Support the implementation of recommendations or improvements, as directed;
- Support the development and/or revision of a range of OSI strategic, planning and procedural documents;
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Candidates for an internship must be at least 18 years of age and no more than 35 years of age;
- At the time of application, the applicant must have completed at least two years of full-time study that will lead to the award of a degree in the field of international law, international relations, public administration, information technology, scientific, engineering, science or an OSI-related technical fields;
- Applications may be accepted up to two years after completion of a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Knowledge or interest in at least one of the following areas is required: Arms control/non-proliferation/disarmament policy, science and technology, project management, planning of training and exercises, verification of treaty obligations, document management and library sciences, or operational command and control;
- Solid organizational skills are required;
- Familiarity with the CTBT On-Site Inspection (OSI) regime is an asset;
- Experience in supporting programme or project management in line with established project management principles is an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable.
- Professionalism – Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Planning and Organizing – Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Communication – Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
PLEASE NOTE: Internship opportunities occur throughout the year and assignments are filled as required by the CTBTO. Due to the volume of applications received, correspondence will be maintained only with those candidates that are under consideration. Thank you for your understanding.
An intern is neither a staff member nor an official of the Commission. An intern who is a non-Austrian citizen is responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and for complying with local laws concerning police registration.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: