Country Director, Kenya
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the poorest people in the world. The Brookings Institution estimates that $100B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $800M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 11 countries. We’ve also supported 19 large-scale, experimental research projects that indicate strong recipient impact of our programs – including the largest universal basic income experiment in history. We use concrete evidence to inform the design of our programs: from research results published in leading journals, to in-depth qualitative work. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
You will be leading all aspects of the GiveDirectly Kenya country office. Your role will build, fundraise and execute the Kenya Country Strategy. You will lead the projects teams, fundraising, and external relations to achieve both short-term goals (i.e. funding targets, annual KPIs) and drive long-term growth. You will be able to draw on resources from the partnerships, data & tech, finance and operations verticals, but will ultimately be accountable to both recipients and donors for delivering a gold-standard product. We are particularly interested in candidates with demonstrated success driving growth, as measured by dollars raised.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced professional, hungry for their next big challenge. The ideal candidate is motivated, big picture thinker, innovative, passionate about addressing poverty in Kenya, and not afraid to roll up her or his sleeves to get the job done.
This role is being offered as a 12-month contract with extension based on performance against key metrics.
Reports to: Regional Director
- Own revenue targets and drive fundraising opportunities, maintaining a robust opportunity pipeline to sustain year over year growth
- Identify strategic partnership opportunities
- Build and manage high quality relationships with donors
- Design ambitious cash transfer programs and accompanying budgets
- Ensure operational excellence across all programs
- Backstop, manage, and guide an operations team in overcoming challenges, staying on schedule, and delivering quality results
- Be accountable for Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) associated with recipients paid, recipient experience, and operational efficiency
- Collaborate and coordinate with GiveDirectly’s Recipient Safeguarding and Advocacy team in order to prevent misconduct and protect our recipients, including designing appropriate controls
- If necessary, provide leadership and oversight of investigations of alleged misconduct, ensuring zero tolerance for fraud and best in class safeguarding standards
- Work with national and local government officials to secure permissions for maintenance and expansion of programs
- Communicate about GiveDirectly to donors, the media, and other partners Team Management
- Motivate and coach a large team, including direct management of the country management team
- Build capacity of managers at all levels by ensuring that they have clearly defined metrics for success, regular feedback on progress, and exciting growth opportunities
- Promulgate practices and norms that animate GD’s core values
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the safety and security of the GD team
- Identify key areas in need of hiring / redundancy planning and buffer to increase the resiliency of the team
- Lead strategic planning for GiveDirectly in Kenya
- Set and manage towards country goals, that create a roadmap for our success in Kenya
Required Skills and Experiences
- 10+ years of relevant experience - e.g. in non-profit country management, organizational leadership, partnership development, program management, social entrepreneurship or consulting - with a track record of demonstrated excellence and increasing responsibility
- Experience leading government and external stakeholder partnerships
- Proven track records of securing significant funding from major institutional and trust donors (e.g. USAID, FCDO, World Bank, or EU) and/or private sector sources
- Demonstrated ability to lead and set strategic vision at a national level
- Enthusiasm for fast-paced, innovative environments whilst maximizing the long-term sustainability of the GiveDirectly country presence
- Team management experience, including hiring and building teams
- Outstanding relationship management abilities, including ability to represent GiveDirectly at the highest levels
- Exceptional communications skills: written and verbal, including with senior audiences
- Strong organizational and/or project management skills
- A high degree of autonomy and resilience
- Problem solver: you look at problems with an analytical and iterative mindset, with a strong framework for prioritization. You can run robust analyses to inform management and programming decisions
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values, including the ambition to pursue industry-changing success
- Active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity.
Desired Skills and Experiences
● Experience working in Kenya and understanding of the Kenyan context is highly desired
We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve - as well as candidates from under-represented genders, ethnicities, and other groups. You can read more about our diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts here.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers health, dental, and vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance.
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)Second interview (1 hour)*Third interview (1 hour)*Final interview (1 hour)Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**