Environmental Law Expert
Result of Service
Provision of advisory services on environmental law.Work Location
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
24 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office of UNEP delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise that UNEP West Asia Office is creating within the framework of the long-term strategic partnership and the Saudi Environment Sustainability Programme with the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA) in Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Provide technical expertise to Legal Team of MEWA in international environmental law, such as environmental rule of law and environmental crime.
2. Provides legal advice on the interpretation and application of international environmental law.
3. Provide legal advice on diverse substantive and procedural questions of considerable complexity, which may include those related to environmental justice and the sustainable management of natural resources through the rule of law, institutions support, capacity building, etc.
4. Performs extensive legal research and analysis in the field of environmental law and correspondence.
5. Develop an assessment of existing institutional and legal frameworks (including laws, regulations, and policies) relevant to the National Environment Strategy of the Kingdom. This assessment should consider relevant commitments of the Kingdom under relevant multilateral environmental agreements as well as relevant policies and strategies and identify legal and institutional gaps as well as associated capacity-building needs.
Outputs / Work Assignments (Deliverables):
1. Baseline report on legal and institutional frameworks and initial assessment of capacity-building needs.
2. A country brief on environmental law in KSA.
3. A training manual on environmental law for KSA.
Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) law, environmental law, international law, or any other relevant field is required
A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience related to environmental law is required.
Previous practical experience in similar tasks and familiarity with environmental law is desirable.
Experience working in West Asia is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: