Economic Recovery Team Leader
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Economic Recovery Team Leader.
About the Job
The overall objective for DRC in Turkey is the protection and promotion of durable solutions to displacement affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights with more immediate objectives focusing both on the immediate subsistence needs, protection and self-reliance support as well as a more long-term focus on social cohesion and resilience building. DRC works with beneficiary communities and individuals to prevent and reduce protection threats and build resilience.
The objective of the Economic Recovery Program is to develop and strengthen assets and capacities of the PoC to increase their self-reliance and reduce their socio-economic vulnerabilities. The activities include counseling, technical and vocational education training, language courses, facilitation of short and long-term job creation, productive asset support and entrepreneurship support to improve and/or diversify vulnerable peoples’ skillsets and promote access to job opportunities so they can pursue livelihood opportunities that increase their ability to adapt and cope with shocks, Besides, DRC implement activities to link job seekers to available job opportunities and to promote sale of small producers (job and product fairs).
Manage economic recovery team members to ensure a timely and proper implementation of activities.
- Deliver management and technical support and guidance to team to ensure quality of the support provided as prescribed in relevant DRC’s policies
- Ensure proper planning, implementation and follow up of all technical and managerial aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC in the scope of geographical responsibility
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders, private sector entitiesand other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities.
- Prompt reporting of challenges to LVH manager at the Area office level.
- Regular reporting to LVH Manager (cc; AMs and Economic Recovery Program Coordinator)
- Leading effective field level coordination with other departments including MEAL, liaison and supply chain
- Coordinating closely with implementing partners to co-plan jointly implemented activities and extending technical support when needed.
- Following the contextual development as well as local labor market dynamics to inform economic recovery programming
Sector responsibilities: Counselling, facilitation of job creation (cash-for-work, wage subsidy scheme), market linkage activities, Home-based Productive Assets Support(PAS), formal entrepreneurship support through business skills training and distribution of business grants, business formalization support, women cooperative support, organization of business networking activities, business mapping, monitoring and reporting of activities planning and implementation.
This position requires close coordination with implementing partners to ensure proper implementation of activities in line with sub-grant agreements, pre-agreed DRC SOPs and tools. S/he is expected to regularly coordinate with the partner/s to align partner implementation plans with DRC’s, and extend technical support when needed.
The Economic Recovery Manager is the line manager of this position.
This role has a focus at the field office area of operations and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the location. The role contributes to the development of field strategies related to the activities implementation, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or supervision to field operations while overseeing field activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and manage the team (including staff recruitment, planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the sector/support activities
- Ensure daily monitoring of field locations under s/his responsibility
- Asses the daily quality of service provided.
- Provide guidance to staff of DRC and Partner organizations on best ways to conduct activities
- Provide supervision, guidance and monitoring of program staff, ensuring clarity over program plans and priorities and encouraging effective team work.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of program objectives, and provide opportunities for feedback
- Build staff and partners capacity on good economic recovery practices based on identified needs and capacity building plans
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
- Oversee DRC and implement partners’ daily activities and budget expenditure of economic recovery activities in accordance with agreed work plans
- Supervise proper program documentation
- Regularly travel to field sites and centers to ensure activities are on-track and provide guidance to field staff in line with existing protocols and guidelines
- Track and report the progress of activities to ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time internal status reports and external donor reports according to DRC, donor, and other applicable timeframes and formats
- Ensure confidentiality and data security controls processes are in place and complied with by economic recovery staff (including the staff of the implementing partners)
- Identify and advocate for opportunities to mainstream and expand economic recovery activities.
- Lead private sector engagement and local stakeholders for activities to facilitate job creation
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant working group and cluster coordination meetings when required
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors as planned by management
- Maintain positive relations with the implementing partners and ensure all issues, implementation delays, etc. are addressed in a timely manner, including through providing operational coaching and support to the partners
- Support Economic Recovery Manager in identifying partnership opportunities also with private sector actors, and liaising with Turkish institutions and local authorities, local NGO partners and CBOs concerning livelihoods activities and project implementation
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities in area of intervention in the absence of Economic Recovery Manager
- Maintain a strong private sector and stakeholder engagement
- Support and provide inputs on economic recovery program development initiatives in coordination with Economic Recovery Manager and Economic Recovery Program Coordinator: propose ideas to program team for feedback and proactively identify opportunities based on needs assessment and gap analysis
- Analyze and report to the economic recovery manager (cc: Economic Recovery Program Coordinator and AM), new regulations related to the access to education and job market for Syrians and follow up the implementation of those regulations in the assigned location to design adequate programming and report to Economic Recovery manager and Economic Recovery Program Coordinator
- Ensure that a risk analysis in the area of intervention is in place and regularly updated
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up to the Economic Recovery Manager
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Prepare regular procurement plans and coordinate with supply chain for the timely execution of the plans.
- Review pre-determined supportive documents for CFW and Wage subsidy components, initiate payment processes on time and lead tracking of the payments
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution and regularly report challenges to Economic Recovery Manager,
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
- Follow up and monitor contracts with service providers in close coordination with Economic Recovery Officers
- Ensure familiarity of Economic Recovery Staff with DRC’s Operational Handbook
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for management of employees under his responsibility
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
- Initiating the hiring and firing of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level, but are closely overseen by the next-level manager.
To be successful in this role, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, social sciences, development studies or other relevant field.
Master degree or higher in international development, economics, business administration or other relevant fields is strong asset.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 3 years of management experience at a mid to senior level, with experience in the field of humanitarian response with special focus on livelihoods intervention, working for an international NGO, UN agency, relevant ministry, or local authority.
- Minimum 2 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Full professional proficiency in English and Turkish, Arabic is a strong asset.
- Field experience; experience in working in Southern Turkey is an asset
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months
Employment Band: G
Designation of Duty Station: Kilis
Start date: 16.01.2023
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 04.12.2022
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: