IT and Telecommunications Technician
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Trieste
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Closing Date: Closed
Post Number : 1ITSC 0949TP
Grade : G-5
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Computer Sciences / Information Technologies
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 25-JAN-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only candidates who are entitled to work in the E.U. may apply to this positionOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers. ICTP has been a major force in stemming the scientific brain drain from the developing world. For more than 50 years, ICTP has been a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world.
Under the direct supervision of the System and Network Analyst and the overall supervision of the Head, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), the incumbent is responsible for the maintenance of the data transmission systems (telephone, computer communication network) and of the proper operation and setup of various electronic equipment used in the Centre. Essential responsibilities include:Long Description
- Perform the necessary diagnostic, preventive maintenance and repair operations on the Centre's data transmission equipment and the small electronic equipment.
- Prepare preventive maintenance plans, estimate and requests tools, materials and equipment needed.
- Prepare layouts for new installations or modifications to the existing ones, ensuring inclusion of the most advanced techniques and compliance with approved technical specifications, and implement them, in collaboration with the Centre's engineering services.
- Handle technical/operational contacts with the technical staff of designated supplier(s) of public/external telephone/data communication services for timely resolutions of faults.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of working experience in one of the following areas: Electronics, Multimedia systems, Conference systems, Audio-visual installations, Computer networks, Telecommunications, Analogue and digital systems, preferably in an international environment.
- Experience in 1st and 2nd level of IT user support.
- Experience with diagnostic tools.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure, with minimum supervision, and to sustain limited periods with workload peaks.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to read blueprints and technical diagrams
- Tact and ability to work harmoniously with visitors and staff members of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds.
- Good working knowledge of English and excellent working knowledge of Italian.
- Certification or training in one of the following areas: Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Computer Science, Communication Techniques, Professional Audio / Video Equipment, Reception and Signal Distribution Equipment, Communication Networks.
- Experience in an international environment.
- Knowledge of another UN official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: