Call for Application: Education data and monitoring consultant
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Santiago
- Grade: Consultancy - International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement
- Education, Learning and Training
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: Closed
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Santiago
Classification of duty station: [[filter12]]
Standard Duration of Assignement: [[filter13]]
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 10-Feb-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
You are invited to submit your application to this “Call for application” using the UNESCO Career site.
In addition, if you are interested in assignments of more than 6 months of duration, you are invited to submit an offer to conduct a Consultancy in education policy, planning and financing in accordance with the following Terms of Reference (TOR). This offer is not to be construed in any way as an offer to contract with you. Your proposal could, however, form part of a ROSTER, as basis for a contract between you and UNESCO.
The offer must comprise a technical and financial proposal based in the TOR. For technical proposal we also recommend visiting the Monitoring and Planning webpage (https://es.unesco.org/monitoreo-planificacion) and an extension of no more than 1,500 words. For financial proposal see the following section.Long Description
Your offer should reach UNESCO Office in Santiago, no later than Feb 10, 2023, to the following address:
Regional Bureau for Education for La n America and the Caribbean
UNESCO Santiago Office
Enrique del Piano 2058, Providencia, Santiago de Chile SEALED PROPOSAL - DO NOT OPEN or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in the subject/reference:
Ref: STG/23/ED/EMPU/001 – Consultant in education data and monitoring
Closing Date: Feb 10, 2023
Expected Duration of Assignment: From 1-6 month or from 7-11 months, as required.
Education Monitoring and Planning Unit
Regional Bureau for Education for La n America and the Caribbean UNESCO Santiago OfficeOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO is the United Nations specialized agency responsible for leading the Global Education Agenda 2030 through Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4) within the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The UNESCO Regional Bureau of Education for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) based in Santiago de Chile is responsible for leading and coordinating the formula on and implementation of the E2030 regional program and is refocusing its strategies and programs to respond to the emerging needs and education trends in the region in support of Member States' efforts to achieve the ambitious goal of providing quality equitable and inclusive education and learning opportunities for all by 2030.
Within the Regional Bureau for Education, the Education Monitoring and Planning Unit represents a key area of work and a functional pillar of the E2030 regional educational program. Its work agenda is related to the products and the impact of interventions in educational policies, planning, financing, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), as well as the provision of high-level advisory services.
Possible responsibilities of the specialist include:
- Follow up on regional and global initiatives for the collection of educational data and the production of indicators that involve LAC countries. Systematize educational and social statistics and indicators for use by the Regional Bureau for Education
- Design and develop a repository of regional educational data and indicators to serve the needs of OREALC/UNESCO Santiago.
- Analyze the metadata of the different databases, statistics, and indicators available, as well as the characteristics of the statistical operations that produce the information, to identify their main characteristics, sources, and limitations.
- The education data and monitoring specialist will be responsible for supporting the Unit in the systematization and analysis of educational and social data and indicators of LAC countries, specific projects related to education management information systems (EMIS), and the elaboration of internal/external reports on education, as well as other related sectors.
- Contribute to the regional monitoring of education at OREALC/UNESCO Santiago, with a focus on the compliance with SDG4 goals, both in the use of indicators and in the development of conceptual frameworks.
- Contribute technically to subregional and national initiatives to follow up on educational goals linked to the SDG4-E2030 agenda, as well as to the Voluntary National Review reports presented by the LAC countries.
- Provide inputs and elaborate analyzes for publications, regional reports and information sheets of the Regional Bureau for Education based on quantitative evidence.
- Support the work carried out by the different teams of the Regional Bureau for Education and the other UNESCO Offices in Latin America and the Caribbean regarding data and information management.
- Serve as liaison with global and regional organizations responsible for data production for technical and methodological exchanges on issues related to quantitative information in education.
- Contribute to the regional work of OREALC/UNESCO Santiago on education management information systems (EMIS) in close collaboration with specialized UNESCO Institutes.
- Provide technical assistance to regional and subregional initiatives to develop indicator frameworks on specific educational issues.
- Identify, systematize, and promote innovations in the use of data for educational management in the region.
- Provide technical assistance at the regional and national level to education sector analysis initiatives.
- Contribute to national projects for the evaluation of education policies and programs, with specific support linked to the production and/or analysis of quantitative information.
- Contribute to the design, content, organization and execution of activities, resources and tools for capacity building linked to the systematization, production and/or analysis of education data and indicators.
- Contribute to the design and development of interactive visualizations of data focused in educational monitoring, through data processing and the use of Business Intelligence platforms.
The budget proposal in case of assignment of more than 6 months should include:
- Honorarium per month, full-time and home based
- Costs associated with the operational and logistic costs
- Education: Advanced university degree (at least master's degree or equivalent) in social sciences (education, sociology, economics or similar) with orientation in data analysis disciplines (such as demography or mathematics), or in the field of statistics or mathematics oriented towards the measurement of educational or social phenomena. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- Work experience: 5 years or more of relevant work experience in Latin American and Caribbean countries, with a focus on the collection and analysis of educational statistics and indicators, of which preferably one year acquired internationally.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the different instances involved in a statistical data collection process, and to identify improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to develop quantitative analysis of educational data with an adequate conceptual and methodological framework, applying the different data sets that make up educational information systems.
- Clear and effective communication, both written, visual (i.e. graphs / tables) and verbal.
- High level of initiative and self-management. Excellent teamwork skills.
- Flexible person focused on identifying possibilities and solutions.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in Microsot Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience working with databases using Stata, SAS, SPSS, or another statistical package. Excellent knowledge of Spanish and English.
- Proven work experience (as staff or consultant) in national statistical offices and/or government agencies in charge of the production of official statistics (for example, statistical offices of ministries of education).
- Experience in United Nations Organizations in the education sector.
- Demonstrated experience in global, regional, or subregional systems for the production and/or compilation of educational statistical information, involving countries in La n America and the Caribbean. Knowledge in the use of Smart Business so ware (Tableau, Power BI, Google Data Study or similar).
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: