Translator (Arabic) EBS, P4 - Rome, Italy
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid level - P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Translations and Languages
- Closing Date: Closed
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a seasoned Polyglot interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join an international organisation investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Applications must be submitted by Sunday, February 12th, 2023 (11:59 PM CET).
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, operating in more than 120 countries and territories, bringing life-saving assistance in emergencies, building pathways to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change and supporting sustainable and resilient livelihoods for a world with zero hunger.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website: UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter.
WHY JOIN US?
- WFP is a 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- WFP offers a highly inclusive, diverse and multicultural working environment
- WFP invests in the personal & professional development of its employees through a range of trainings, accreditation, coaching, mentorship and other programs as well as through internal mobility opportunities
- A career path in WFP provides an exciting opportunity to work across various country, regional and global offices around the world, and with passionate colleagues who work tirelessly to ensure that effective humanitarian assistance reaches millions of people across the globe
- We offer an attractive compensation package (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section)
THE ROLE AND ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
The Executive Board Secretariat is the interface between WFP's Membership (Board Members and Observers) and the WFP Secretariat.
The Board Secretariat facilitates the interaction between the Executive Board and the Secretariat and provides the necessary support services to the Board and its Bureau in completing the programme of work of the Board. The position is based in the Translation and Documentation Branch (EBST) of the Executive Board Secretariat (EBS) and reports to the Chief, EBST.
The position is responsible for the provision of high-quality translation services in Arabic for the Board documentation, as well as non-Board translation requests submitted by WFP unit.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Monitor, control and revise as necessary the work of external translators/revisers including assisting in matters of United Nations style to ensure uniformity and resolving terminology issues in Arabic.
- Translate into Arabic a wide range and variety of documents (including official parliamentary documents, official correspondence, etc.) from English and French or Spanish in such a manner that the translation will be a finished product ready for publication.
- Plan and coordinate the support from the external translators/revisers from the roster of Arabic translators.
- Identify qualified external translators/revisers to be added to the existing roster of Arabic translators.
- Lead the development of Arabic terminology through research and contacts with technical experts and other translators within the United Nations system.
- Lead the development of innovative procedures and ensure utilization of new computer technology applied to translation.
- Perform other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Masters Degree in Language Studies, Translation, Law or Economics, or other fields related to the activities of WFP, with specialization in languages
- At least 8 years of post-graduate, progressively responsible professional experience in translation and/or revision, of which at least 5 years should have been gained with international organizations, preferably with the United Nations system.
- Fluency (level C) in the English language.
- Fluency (level C) in the Arabic language
- Fluency (level C) in the French or Spanish languages
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Chinese, Russian, and/or Portuguese.
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Demonstrated skills in translating and revising substantive documents for parliamentary purposes
- Ability to complete assignments with minimum supervision
- Maturity and sound judgement in resolving translation issues effectively
- Extensive vocabulary coupled with a keen sense of semantics in the Arabic language
- Advanced computer skills and ability to translate on screen, using various applications of office technology and modern translation tools
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK
These are the common standards of behaviour that guide HOW we work together to accomplish our mission.
|Leads by Example with Integrity||Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments||Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork||Applies Strategic Thinking||Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships|
Lives the WFP values and shows humanity and integrity by role modelling care for others
Delivers on commitments and adapts readily to change
Is inclusive and collaborative, and contributes to a culture of learning and personal growth
Demonstrates commitment to gather perspectives, analyse options and risks, and propose new ways of doing things
Builds and nurtures external partnerships and collaborates with partners to deliver common objectives
Different expectations of behaviour are defined depending on your grade and role/responsibilities within WFP.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is however classified as “non-rotational” which means the incumbent shall not be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as rotational. The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year. This position is open to both internal and external candidates.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, visa, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan, and medical insurance.
The selected candidate will be required to relocate to Rome, Italy to take up this assignment.
REMINDERS BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, language skills and UN Grade (if applicable)
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please make sure you upload your professional CV in the English language
- Kindly note the only documents you will need to submit at this time are your CV and Cover Letter
- Additional documents such as passport, recommendation letters, academic certificates, etc. may potentially be requested at a future time
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you face any challenges with submitting your application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: