- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Belgrade
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Scientist and Researcher
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people survive, recover and gain control of their future. The IRC is working to improve the safety, health, education, economic well-being, and power of people in crisis-affected places.
As part of supporting populations in crises, the IRC has developed innovative, responsive information called Signpost. The upcoming rollout of Signpost in Central Europe as part of the Ukraine response represents a unique and rare moment to launch a thorough research component to understand the impact of Signpost and to catalyze further investments and scale of one of IRC’s cornerstone approaches in emergencies. Learning from this study will improve programming across the Ukraine response and beyond as the Signpost project reaches a more global scale.
If you believe in development and want to make a meaningful contribution to the lives of people affected by crises, join us!
We are looking for a Research Manager who will be a part of the Refuge Info in Central Europe project within the IRC Balkans program based in Belgrade. The Research Manager will play a key role in supporting the success of the Signpost research evaluation. They will (i) coordinate research study activities with colleagues globally across the IRC and with external academic partners (ii) supervise the study budget, roles, and data collection teams, and (iii) ensure fidelity to the study design and ethical considerations for the study; and (iv) ensure all processes are implemented according to IRC’s research quality assurance standards. This role requires strong project management and interpersonal skills and a strong background in academic research, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and methodologies.
• Assist in developing and/or translating research instruments, conducting data collection training and/or data collection firm contract management, supervising the progress of research activities, and analyzing research data as needed for quality by the academic team
• Provide management support to research activities related to the study, including budgetary oversight, timeline planning, and contract-related support with academic partners
• Collaborate with internal and external research partners to ensure the successful implementation of the research project
• Support the research team in securing ethics approval and ensure that the study adheres to ethical requirements and IRC quality research standards
• Support the study team in research synthesis and preparation and coordination of dissemination activities, including internal and external presentations, briefs, peer-review journal articles, community-based dissemination events, and blog posts
Key Working Relationships:
• Position Reports to RICE Project and Consortium Manager
• Indirect Reporting: Research Director
• Other Internal and/or external contacts:
• Internal: EHAU, Airbel Impact Lab, country program counterparts
• External: research partners, peer agencies
Education / Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Research Methodology, Economics, Social Sciences, or a related field
• Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience supporting research projects, preferably in humanitarian or development settings and in a project management role
Proven Skills and Competencies
• Proficient in written and spoken communication in English. Ukrainian or Slovak is strongly preferred.
• Proven understanding of quantitative and qualitative research designs and methodologies. Experience or familiarity with participatory research methods is an advantage!
• Experience organizing and implementing quantitative and qualitative data collections. Ability to identify and troubleshoot data quality and research implementation issues.
• Knowledge of research ethics, such as informed consent and data protection. Experience securing ethics approval and research permits is strongly preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills involving listening to, interacting with, and presenting clearly with people from diverse nationalities and backgrounds with a high degree of integrity and pro-activity
• Ability to work efficiently under remote team and management structures and coordinate with internal and external partners
Standards for professional conduct and dedication to equality:
Professional Standards: IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability, and Equality. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Respect at Work, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Accountability to Clients: IRC staff must adhere to the commitment of contributing to the sustainability and development of its (CR) Client Responsiveness Mechanisms, preserving the culture of prioritizing the needs of our clients and affected communities by systematically listening to their perspectives and using their feedback to make programmatic decisions and give them greater influence over program design and delivery.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
Diversity and Inclusion: At IRC we are passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. Organizations that are diverse in age, gender identity, race, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity, nationality, and perspective are validated to be better organizations. More importantly, creating a safe workspace environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best is the right thing to do. So, bring your whole self to work.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Language preference and/or interpretation to interview for the role can be made available upon request for the IRC’s working languages (Spanish, French, Arabic, English).
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.