Partnerships Senior Officer
Background Information - Job-specific
The Austria Multi-Country Office (AUMCO) was set up in August 2019 as a part of the UNOPS Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR). Specifically, AUMCO aims to enable achievement of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Agreement through global programmes and tailored interventions in the Balkans, South Caucasus, and Central Asia, focused on:
- Project Management (full service, back on track)
- HR and Transactional Services
- Grants Management
- Technical and Advisory Services
- Scan opportunities for partnerships (assessments of client needs, UNOPS comparative advantages, and partner survey analysis, among others), with a focus on Vienna-based partners.
- Support active positioning of AUMCO and its services by building a network of key partners, keeping abreast of social, economic, and political trends.
- Contribute to effective stakeholder and partner management, including towards the identification, preparation and negotiation of new projects, through research on pertinent topics, in line with UNOPS’ strategic plan and regional priorities, as well as country context and landscape.
- Support establishing contacts with potential partners, organizing meetings and negotiations, and prepare subsequent records of meetings, plan of action and follow-up for potential partnership development opportunities.
- In coordination with the AUMCO Director and management, actively participate in the identification, design, formulation, drafting and negotiation of new projects and programmes, including by drafting concept notes and project documents.
- Coordinate with relevant personnel within the MCO and HQ to produce contractual documents, including the respective technical and financial elements.
- Assist management with recording of respective partnerships and project negotiation activities in the appropriate UNOPS systems.
- Help UNOPS’ participation in and reporting on the relevant inter-agency, donor and government coordination meetings including addressing project development issues, in consultation with AUMCO management, project managers and technical experts when required.
- Under the guidance of AUMCO Director, take part in UN common planning and programming processes, including strategic country analysis, UNSDCF, response plans, etc, ensuring that UNOPS priorities and programmes are included and reflected in the relevant plans and strategies.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building within project and partnership development.
- Contribute to efforts to develop and implement innovative approaches and service offerings to maximize performance and sustain achievements in partnerships, business and project development.
- Provide regular feedback, particularly to the respective HQ units, on existing systems, tools and resources to ensure its relevance to day-to-day activities.
- Take on other relevant partnership and programme support activities, as appropriate and assigned by the supervisor.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration, Public Relations, Communications, International Relations, Law, Political Science or related fields is required.
- A combination of Bachelors degree with a relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in partnerships support and project development in an international public organization is required.
- Knowledge of the respective UN/UNOPS rules, procedures and processes regarding partnerships and project management will be considered a significant asset.
- Familiarity with the context of AUMCO’s areas of responsibility is highly desired.
- Experience with UN coordination processes, as well as working with government partners and donors such as the EU and IFIs, will be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with the appropriate computer software, particularly GSuite applications, is desired.
- Full working knowledge of English is required.
- Fluency in one or more additional official UN languages is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: I-ICA-1
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.