- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
The communication consultant will coordinate communication and advocacy activities for the Economics of Nature Unit for 2023 as they pertain to the EUPI projects.Work Location
10 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system's designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. It is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and capacity development for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The Communication Specialist will support the Economics of Nature Unit (TEN). TEN hosts The Economics of Ecosystem and Biodiversity (TEEB), and the sub-initiative termed TEEB for Agriculture and Food (TEEBAgriFood). TEEBAgriFood seeks to provide a comprehensive economic evaluation of the “eco-agri-food systems” complex and demonstrate that the economic environment in which farmers operate is distorted by significant externalities, both negative and positive, and a lack of awareness of dependency on natural, human and social capital.
The Communications Specialist shall support the following project under specific deliverables: EU Partnership Instrument-funded project entitled “Promoting a sustainable agriculture and food sector” (henceforth ‘EUPI project).
The consultant shall work under the overall supervision of the Unit Head of Economics of Nature Unit.
1. Duties and Responsibilities:
The consultant will work on a full-time basis. The consultant will be home based. Responsibilities of the consultant will include, but are not limited to:
• Work with, coordinate with and train national research partners on Communication related topics to ensure development of national communications products
• Work with the Ecosystems Division Advocacy and Communication Group to improve the coordination and efficiency of the advocacy and communication efforts, as advocacy focal point for the Biodiversity and Land Branch at UNEP; mainstreaming of TEEBAgriFood activities via this Advocacy and Communication Group
• Ensure effective knowledge management by coordinating the flow of information, communication and advocacy products from country partners to global TEN and UNEP workstreams, and as such connecting work across silos
• Ensure smooth workflow between the Economics of Nature Unit and the UNEP Communication Division. Liaise with Head of Content & Head of Multimedia to ensure visibility of TEEB Communications products on global UNEP Channels
• Liaise with Head of Web to ensure a new and improved UNEP TEEB presence for the EU-funded project on unep.org, as teebweb.org is being phased out
• Work with partners to identify and coordinate key moments for advocacy and public-facing communication activities for TEN
• Oversee the day-to-day work of those contributing to TEN communications: Communications Consultants, Graphic Designer, Videographer, Website Consultant etc.
• Develop and oversee the development of impact stories for EUPI projects through a wide variety of communication tools and products (e.g. infographics, geospatial platforms, storymaps, dynamic blog pieces, human interest stories), using data and insights from TEN workstreams.
• Visit EUPI partner countries to coordinate video production and develop multimedia content to be highlighted on unep.org
• Develop country policy briefs jointly with EUPI country leads and national country institutions.
• Develop social media content in collaboration with EUPI partners, at country level as well as at global level, through UNEP and TEEB social media channels
• Reach out to and liaise with media/journal outlets in EUPI partner countries to arrange news stories and press releases.
• Coordinate the development of materials and media briefings for EUPI advocacy events
• Develop TEEBAgriFood content for blog articles, audio-visual materials, newsletters and website updates, based on identified user needs from national project partners and global end users
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Communications, International Relations, Journalism, or Environmental related areas is required. A first university degree with a combination of two (2) years professional and academic qualifications may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience in Journalism or Communication for International Development is required
Previous work within the UN System or International Organizations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in oral and written English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: