INTERNSHIP: Gender Equality
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Multiple locations
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2023-06-30
Duty Station: Headquarters (Paris)
Type of contract : Internship
Duration of contract : 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External Candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 30 June 2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Director of the Division for Gender Equality, under the supervision of the Chief, Policies and Strategies for Gender Equality and within the general assignment of support of the work of the Division, the intern will undertake the following duties:
- Assist in follow-up, monitoring and reporting of activities pertaining to global priority gender equality to realize the fours Strategic Objectives of UNESCO in accordance with the 41 C/4 and 41 C/5;
- Analyze documents and projects related to the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment in all UNESCO domains and draft related reports, briefings and notes;
- Assist in developing effective communication materials for the Division including its social media outlet, drafting content (e.g. documents, news, webstories, photo galleries and other dynamic content) for the Division’s website;
- Assist in the organization of the Priority Gender Equality related conferences, events and outreach initiatives;
- Provide assistance, if and as requested, in maintaining regular contacts and cooperation with stakeholders and partners;
- Assist in the organization and implementation of training activities and the development of tools and guidelines of the Division
- Contribute to the preparation and follow-up of the sessions of the Executive Board and/or the General Conference as assigned,
- Undertake other tasks upon request of DIR/CAB/GE.
Expected contribution (major expected outcomes)
- Active participation in all of the above mentioned tasks and duties, and flexibility in engaging in any new tasks that may arise.
The general learning objectives of the internship is to obtain professional experience in the implementation of Priority Gender Equality at UNESCO which relates to and supplements graduate level studies of the intern, and to develop knowledge and understanding of the functioning and working methods of UNESCO. The specific learning objectives will be discussed with the intern in the beginning of the internship assignment.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
You must be at least 20 years old to apply.
At the time of your application to the internship programme:
You are currently enrolled in a graduate programme (Master’s degree, PhD, or equivalent, second university degree or higher).
You have recently graduated with a Master’s degree or PhD (or second degree as defined above), 12 months prior to the start of the internship.
Please note that candidates who have completed their full-time bachelor's degree but are not enrolled in a graduate programme are not eligible to apply.
Applicants in secretarial/assistant or technical/professional assignments must be enrolled in a secretarial school or in a specialized technical/professional institution, and must have reached the last year of their studies, or have recently graduated (within the last 12 months) from their school or institution.
You should have an excellent command, both written and spoken, of English or French. A working knowledge of the other language (English or French) is an asset, and may be required for internships in secretarial and assistantship assignments at the Headquarters.
Computer skills: You must have an excellent knowledge of computer systems and office-related software.
You should be able to work well in a team and adapt to an international working environment.
You should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO does not remunerate interns. There is no compensation, financial or otherwise for internship assignments.
Interns are entitled to 2.5 days of leave per month during their internship.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
The UNESCO Internships Programme is open in January and July each year. Candidates shall apply to the vacancy that matches their personal expertise and domain. Candidates who successfully applied to the vacancy will stay in the intern talent pool and will be further assessed and selected by relevant hiring managers. The candidature will be valid for 6 months. Candidates who have been selected will be contacted directly by the relevant hiring manager. Those who were not selected for an internship in the current cycle will need to reapply to the internship programme when the new internship vacancies are released.KEEP IN MIND
- Have your motivation letter and résumé ready before filling out the application form. You only have one hour to finish the process.
- Make sure your contact details will be valid in next 6 months.
- You can only use either English or French in applying.
- Please provide an unofficial French or English translation of your documents if they are not in these languages.
- UNESCO does not remunerate interns. There is no compensation, financial or otherwise for internship assignments.
- Even if you are eligible, there is no guarantee of placement. We receive more applications from qualified candidates than we can place.
- Your application will be further accessed by UNESCO managers around the world and will stay in our internship portal for a period of six months.
- We do not respond to each and every candidate. If selected, you will be directly contacted by the manager. If you do not receive any update within six months, it means that your application has not been successful.