ICT Senior Assistant
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Valencia
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: Closed
Background Information - Job-specific
**** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SPANISH OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION****
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
The New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
The Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners' programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
This position is located in the UNICTFV Office, Valencia Spain, Field Technology Services, Digital Solutions Support Unit. Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager or designated officer and within delegated authority, the incumbent typically reports to an Information Technology Officer or a more Senior Information Technology Assistant.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for the United Nations Global Service Center.
The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Within delegated authority, the ICT Senior Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions
Desktop Administration and Configuration
Server Operations and Administration
Service Installation and Support
Procurement and Logistics
Desktop Administration and Configuration
- Assists in monitoring personal computers running the UN software delivery system to ensure that software distributions are being delivered correctly.
- Delivers VM ware and Desktop VDI Services
- Assists in performing software distribution updates, scripting, testing and support.
- Performs research into new versions of centrally supported software and performs beta testing, production rollout and post production support.
- Performs 2nd level desktop troubleshooting in conjunction with the Help Desk.
- Maintains and updates files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
Server Operations and Administration
- Assists in routine installation, configuration, testing and deployment of server hardware and software, including Local Area Network, Operating Systems, Electronic mail, Unix, Linux, Lotus Notes, Citrix, Database systems, Internet Web software, firewall, Domain Name Server (DNS), DHCP, mail relay, and various security software.
- Assists in routine administration, operation, technical support, and monitoring of server systems.
- Undertakes routine troubleshooting of server systems. If the problem persists, escalates to higher level in accordance with procedures.
- Performs routine 24x7 operations of assigned systems.
- Assists in responding to requests from user offices and assists in deploying/configuring systems so as to conform to infrastructure standards.
- Implements backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Collects various statistics on the performance and reliability of server systems, and produce pertinent reports.
- Maintains the documentation of server systems, pertinent to operations and system administration.
Service Installation and Support
- Receives and logs problem calls or service requests in the automated tracking system with minimum delay.
- Attempts to resolve as many problem calls or service requests on initial contact.
- Performs tasks related to scheduled service requests, including equipment replacement, equipment installation/de-installation, software installation, LAN connection, returns to stock, site surveys, etc.
- Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay.
- Provides basic training to end-users on the use of standard systems.
- Logs all actions in the automated tracking system, including site survey information, steps taken to resolve problem or to complete task, problems encountered, current status, etc.
- Escalates problems to the appropriate parties in accordance with established procedure;
- Detects problem patterns and recommend solutions.
- Keeps abreast of developments in technology both in the UN and in the industry in general.
Procurement and Logistics
- Receives, unpacks, and inspects all incoming assets.
- Enters assets and asset transactions into the automated inventory management system in accordance with established procedure.
- Obeys and enforces all security procedures.
- For stock purchases under $1000, solicits multiple bids from various vendors.
- Troubleshoots, cleans, and repairs/rebuilds equipment.
- Performs hardware and software configuration in accordance with established procedure.
- Sorts, compiles, and stores equipment in accordance with work orders and/or equipment condition.
- Monitors inventory levels and alert supervisor when low thresholds are reached.
- Keeps abreast of developments in technology in the UN and in the industry in general.
- Recommends acquisition of hardware, software, devices, tools, etc. to facilitate work.
- Receives and logs service requests in the automated request management system.
- Creates and assigns work orders in accordance with established procedure.
- Liaises with other areas of ITSD to facilitate completion of service requests.
- Provides advice to clients regarding ITSD standards and workflow processes.
- Performs quality assurance procedures to ensure client satisfaction.
- Escalates problems encountered to the supervisor.
- Performs filing and record-keeping tasks for the unit.
- Keeps abreast of latest ITSD standards and technology.
- May be required to lift, move, mount, or store equipment weighing up to 50 lbs, or up to 80 pieces of equipment on a daily basis.
- May be required to work on shift assignments on weekdays to maintain the service coverage from 08:00 to 18:00. Occasionally, on average once a month, the incumbent may be required to work ad-hoc assignments during evenings or early mornings of working days as well as holidays and weekends.
- May be required to visit user’s premises to resolve problems on their servers or desktop PCs.
- May require the ability to cope with the working conditions of the Data Centre where the level of noise and electro-magnetic fields may be slightly higher than the normal office environment while the temperature may be lower.
The expected impact will be effective delivery of a wide range of difficult administrative and office support functions under general supervision and limited independent judgement. Regularly assists in drafting routine correspondence and other communications. Accurately and in a timely manner, produces a range of documents, reports and other outputs. Appropriately applies relevant policies, guidelines, procedures and processes. Establishes effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A first level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Specific experience or training in VM ware services and ITIL certification are highly desirable
- Minimum five (5) years' of experience in information technology or related area with four years of experience in VM Ware support for Thinapps and VDI environment.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in general office support in Information Technology related areas.
- Experience in technology support in complex organization environment.
- Experience in information systems analysis and programming (such as scripting), systems administration and maintenance, IP Telephony.
- Experience in maintaining tracking systems.
- Experience in multinational working environment.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required.
- Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: G5
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability'
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: