- Organization: IMPACT Initiatives
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: Closed
We are currently looking for a Data Specialist to support our team in Bangladesh, based in Bangkok, Thailand.
Contract duration:6 months (with potential to extend)
Location: Bangkok, Thailand (with potential travel to Bangladesh)
Starting Date: April 2023
Since August 2017, an estimated 770,000 Rohingya people have arrived in Bangladesh. By December 2022, more than 920,000 refugees were living in the 33 camps in Cox’s Bazar district. Hundreds of thousands remain dependent on humanitarian aid and the crisis has also affected Bangladeshi host communities, placing pressure on services as well as social cohesion.
The REACH Bangladesh team – split between Cox’s Bazar and Bangkok – has been supporting the humanitarian response in Bangladesh since 2017, with various activities including the mapping and monitoring of infrastructure in support of camp coordination, climate and natural hazards projects, as well as sectoral (including WASH, shelter, education, child protection, age and disability) and multi-sectoral assessments.
In 2023, REACH is planning to implement a Multi-Sector Needs Assessment (MSNA) in the refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar.
The REACH Data Specialist will fulfill the following functions:
He/she will lead on the development of programming scripts to streamline the implementation of research cycles from start to finish, including data checking, cleaning and analysis. Under the line management of the IMPACT Country Coordinator, the Data Specialist ensures the validity and strengthens the quality and efficiency of the MSNA in Bangladesh, in accordance with IMPACT’s standards and partner expectations. In coordination with the Country Senior Management Team, the Data Specialist will provide technical inputs at all stages of relevant research cycles, including for secondary data reviews, assessment conceptualization, research design, data cleaning, data analysis, production of information products (inclusive of maps and factsheets), and dissemination of information products, etc. S/he will be involved in partner coordination, donor reporting, presentations, and will be required to provide input to the strategic development of IMPACT in Bangladesh.
He/she will be the technical line manager of a national Data Officer and a GIS Officer. The Data Specialist will work in close coordination with the Research Manager and Assessment Officer to ensure that the data team is involved in the different stages of the research cycles and that all the data support (review and coding of survey tools, development of checking and analysis scripts, conduct daily data quality check, clean and analysis the data set) is provided in a coordinated, timely and quality manner.
In his/her mission, the Data Specialist will be hosted by IMPACT’s global partner ACTED and will fall under the direct responsibility and management of ACTED’s Country Director and his/her delegates for all Administrative, Security, and relevant Logistics and Finance issues. S/he will therefore fully abide to ACTED’s Security, Administration, and relevant HR, Logistics and Finance rules and regulations.
Research planning and implementation
- In coordination with the Research Manager, ensuring that assessments are planned in line with project and program objectives and with IMPACT’s research cycle and other relevant guidelines;
- For each assessment, ensure contribution to and review of draft ToRs with a specific focus on the sampling design, data collection methodology, analysis plan, as well as data management plan,
- In coordination with Assessment team, co-construct qualitative and quantitative data collection tools, ensuring data requirements of research cycle/assessment are met;
- Supports the GIS and Assessment Officer with drawing of final sampling;
- Develop data cleaning processes and scripts;
- When relevant, ensure that support is provided by data staff in overseeing data collection, including validation as part of daily assessment checks;
Data management, cleaning and analysis
- Leads development of data checking, data cleaning and analysis scripts in R
- Ensure that data is revised and cleaned, and that all revisions are recorded;
- Leads on implementation of data analysis, and ensures this is conducted as per Data Analysis Plan (DAP);
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of technical information provided as well as the confidentiality and protection of collected information.
Drafting of products
- Ensure that the data products meet the requirements of IMPACT and concerned partners;
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate products (including factsheets, graphics, webmaps and dashboards), which comply with IMPACT’s guidelines;
Team functional and line-Management
- Direct line management of Data Officer (national) and GIS Officer;
- Reviewing data staff work throughout research cycles (clean datasets, analysis scripts, maps, etc.)
- Be available to provide regular support and technical backstopping.
- More generally, contributes to creating a culture of rigour, innovation and learning within IMPACT’s operations.
Strategy development & implementation
The Data Specialist will participate and actively contribute to the development of IMPACT’s strategy in Myanmar, in support to the Country Coordinator/Representative. She/he may be asked to collaborate in the Senior Management Team. In particular s/he will support in identifying and concretising:
- Contribute to country strategy development with relevant technical and thematic contents;
- Support the development/revision of assessment/programme strategies, reports, or new proposals;
- Identify data gaps in country and develop a national data strategy;
- Ensure that data analysis strategies are implemented in a structured and coherent manner in line with project and strategic objectives and with IMPACT’s guidelines and processes;
- Synergies with other data and IM actors;
- Engagement with IMPACT HQ in global level data priorities.
- Under the coordination of the IMPACT Country Coordinator, ensure that relevant partners are consulted and involved in the preparation of data products;
- In coordination with the IMPACT Country Coordinator, engage in relevant technical fora in country (e.g. IM/data working groups);
- In coordination with the IMPACT Country Coordinator, support the presentation of data products to relevant third parties, to enhance their use and impact.
Data Confidentiality and Protection
The Data Specialist will maintain the strictest confidentiality on all data collected and related processes. He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of any information and data belonging to IMPACT and its partners, or collected during his/her assignment with IMPACT.
- Academic Excellent academic qualifications, preferably including a Master degree in relevant discipline;
- Research skills Excellent research and analytical skills required, including a sound understanding of sampling frameworks and their application, an ability to clean and analyse large data sets, as well as conduct temporal or spatial trend analysis. Demonstrable experience of data science. Excellent data analysis skills. Experience with GIS is desirable.
- Software skills Advanced knowledge of R, Python or equivalent statistical software is required. Proven knowledge of Microsoft office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of QGIS/ArcGIS an advantage.
- Familiarity aid system Familiarity with the aid system and with the research community;
- Years of work experience At least 3 years of relevant working experience
- Training skills Ability to conduct trainings and mentor IMPACT teams and partners on assessment skills;
- Communication/reporting skills Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting;
- Multi-tasking skills Ability to multitask with tight deadlines, on numerous research cycles;
- Level of independence Strong existing ability to work independently in support of colleagues and partners;
- Cross-cultural work environment Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Experience in geographical region Past experience in Bangladesh, Myanmar or the South-east Asia region is desirable;
- Language skills Fluency in English required, competency in Bangla / Bengali is an asset;
- Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
- Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT’s partner ACTED
- Food and lodging provided at the organisation’s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
- Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
- Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package
Please apply using the following link: Data Specialist | Impact (impact-initiatives.org)
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: