Natural Resources Management Officer
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid level - P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Operations and Administrations
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Natural Resource Management
- Closing Date: 2023-03-28
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The FAO Investment Centre (CFI) aims to be the go-to place for investment and finance solutions that lead to more efficient, sustainable, inclusive and resilient agrifood systems. Working in over 120 countries, CFI provides a full suite of investment and finance support to FAO Members Nations. It partners with governments, international financing institutions, national and international organizations, the private sector, research institutions, academia and producer organizations to improve the quality and quantity of agrifood investment. The Centre’s four main areas of work include support to strategic investment planning and policy, public investment, private investment, and innovative finance. These are complemented by the knowledge for investment and capacity development for investment programmes that serve to share knowledge more widely and position the Centre as a trusted voice on investment and finance.
CFI is a multidisciplinary Centre comprising the Director’s office, which leads on strategy and business development, knowledge management, communication and administration, and five regional services: Asia and the Pacific; Near East and North Africa, and Europe and Central Asia; West and Central Africa; East and Southern Africa; and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The post is part of the West and Central Africa Service (CFIE) of the FAO Investment Centre (CFI), and is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Natural Resources Management Officer reports to the Chief, West and Central Africa Service (CFIE) of the FAO Investment Centre (CFI).
Provide analytical and technical support on sustainable natural resources management and concerned institutions, including land, water, agriculture, fisheries, forestry, biological diversity and other environmental services and related livelihoods activities, in addition to addressing climate change and resilience matters, as environmental and social safeguards for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of investment policies, strategies, programmes and projects in food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing.
Delivering investment and finance support solutions through the provisions of technical expertise/assistance and support capacity development, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to achieve impact at scale in the transformation of agrifood systems in the scope of the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Participates in multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification and preparation of investment and finance support initiatives in the fields of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, and participates in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
• Supports the implementation and the preparation of final evaluation of investment and finance support solutions.
• Participates in the preparation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing studies and strategies, in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment plans and programmes.
• Supports the development of inclusive and sustainable food systems involving producers, their organizations, other private sector actors, civil society organizations and governments.
•Contributes to capacity development initiatives in the areas of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment support to government staff, non-state actors and private sector organizations.
•Prepares reports in accordance with the requirements of FAO, governments and financing partners.
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences, and interacts with international and national partners.
• Establishes, promotes and maintains relationships with relevant Strategic Programmes, FAO Technical Units and Decentralized Offices in order to ensure best synergies between investment, policy and innovation work in support to Member Nations.
• Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
• Provides inputs for the design of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing strategies, plans and operations, technical, environmental, and social feasibility and compliance with national policies and priorities.
• Analyses and supports the evaluation of the management of natural resources systems with emphasis on sustainability of environmental, social and economic impact, strengthening natural resources management institutions and organizations, including the participation of stakeholders and users.
• Supports the design of natural resources management related activities and components of investment and finance support programmes, including systems of implementation support and monitoring and evaluation of the natural resources management (NRM) and environmental impacts of agricultural and rural development projects.
• Provides technical assistance on the environmental sustainability and natural resources management improvements to existing farming, livelihoods and resource use systems.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in natural resources management, environmental sciences, environmental engineering, agriculture, forestry, fisheries, ecology, biological sciences or a related field.
• Five years of relevant experience in planning and implementing natural resources management and sustainable agricultural development projects and programmes, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and climate change mitigation and adaptation, and agro-processing investment and finance support programmes in developing countries and/or countries in transition.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of French and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of English.
• Results focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Extent and relevance of experience in major technical fields related to management of natural resources, assessing environmental impact, and addressing climate change, as they relate to food security, nutrition, agriculture and rural development (including livestock, fisheries and forestry) in developing countries and countries in transition.
• Extent and relevance of experience in participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment and finance support solutions, with a focus on natural resources management and environmental aspects.
• Extent and relevance of experience in investment design, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank, the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and other partner International Financial Institutions, particularly with climate change mitigation and adaptation and environmental and social safeguards.
• Knowledge of the context as well as partners and institutions of the specific subregion would be an asset.
• Extent of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investments.
• Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in French.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English is considered a strong asset.