Investment Associate - Energy
- Organization: AIIB - Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Location: Beijing
- Grade: Junior level - Junior - Internationally recruited position
- Banking and Finance
- Renewable Energy sector
- Impact investing, Social venture capital
- Closing Date: 2023-03-27
Department: Investment Operations Region 1, Infrastructure Investment Department
Job Type: Global Recruitment
Posting Date: Feb. 15, 2023
Closing Date: Mar. 27, 2023
Investment Associate - Energy
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Infrastructure Investment Department invests in tangible infrastructure in the transport, energy, water and sustainable cities sectors through various financial instruments, including loans, equity investments and guarantees. Focus areas include (i) origination and execution of sovereign-backed financings; (ii) origination and execution of nonsovereign-backed financings, including corporate loans, limited recourse project finance loans, equity bridge loans, mezzanine debt and guarantees; (iii) direct equity investments in corporates and projects and (iv) fixed income investments in project and corporate bonds.
It is looking for early-career professionals with sound infrastructure and energy financing experience from a wide range of backgrounds including commercial banks, investment banks, professional/engineering/consulting organizations, multilateral development banks and private equity infrastructure funds to augment its talent pool.
The Associate will support Project Team Leads on deal sourcing, structuring, execution, and client relationship management for AIIB’s public and private sector operations. This will require close inter-departmental cooperation and collaboration. An individual with strong technical expertise, sound coordination skills, adaptable, ready to learn and willing to support the success of financial transactions involving many parties will thrive in this role.
- Conduct sectoral, industry and market research;
- Analyze financial statements; create, review and operate financial models;
- Support early screening of potential investment opportunities;
- Support the Project Team Lead on investment due diligence with emphasis on ensuring that key economic, financial, technical, and legal issues are considered (and mitigants incorporated in the financing structure and legal documentation);
- Co-lead the preparation of project documents for internal approval;
- Support the implementation and monitoring of investments.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant discipline such as business administration, finance, economics or energy engineering (e.g., all types of relevant energy and power such as fossil-based, various kinds of renewable, generation, transmission, distribution, etc.).
- Minimum of 3-5 years (with a Bachelor’s degree) or 2-3 years of relevant work experience (with a Master’s degree) of relevant working experience in the energy sector such as undertaking economic feasibility studies for energy sector investment and management/analysis at professional/engineering/consulting firm, international financial institutions, and/or commercial/investment banks.
- Familiarity with various types and schemes of energy activities and development in general, and demonstrable knowledge of at least one type of energy activity.
- Understanding of the general due diligence required for infrastructure finance.
- Understanding of financial products such as debt and equity in corporate/project finance transactions.
- Experience in financial/economic analysis of projects. Modelling skills or credit skills will be an advantage.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.