- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Junior level - P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2023-03-29
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The FAO Investment Centre (CFI) aims to be the go-to place for investment and finance solutions that lead to more efficient, sustainable, inclusive and resilient agrifood systems. Working in over 120 countries, CFI provides a full suite of investment and finance support to FAO Member Nations. It partners with governments, international financing institutions, national and international organizations, the private sector, research institutions, academia and producer organizations to improve the quality and quantity of agrifood investment. The Centre’s four main areas of work include support to strategic investment planning and policy, public investment, private investment, and innovative finance. These are complemented by the knowledge for investment and capacity development for investment programmes that serve to share knowledge more widely and position the Centre as a trusted voice on investment and finance.
CFI is a multidisciplinary Centre comprising the Director’s office, which leads on strategy and business development, knowledge management, communication and administration, and five regional services: Asia and the Pacific; Near East and North Africa, and Europe and Central Asia; West and Central Africa; East and Southern Africa; and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The post is part of the West and Central Africa Service (CFIE) of the FAO Investment Centre (CFI) and is located at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Agricultural Officer reports to the Chief, West and Central Africa Service (CFIE) of the FAO Investment Centre (CFI).
Provide analytical and technical support on agricultural development including functioning of agricultural support services, rural market and finance institutions aspects for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of investment policies, strategies, programmes and projects in food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing.
Delivering investment and finance support solutions through the provisions of technical advice and capacity development, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to achieve impact at scale in the transformation of agrifood systems in the scope of the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Participates in multidisciplinary teams for the identification and preparation of investment and finance support solutions in the fields of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing, and in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
• Participates in multidisciplinary teams for the implementation support and the preparation of final evaluation of investment and finance support solutions
• Drafts components of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing studies and strategies, in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment plans and programmes.
• Participates in capacity development programmes activities in the areas of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment to support government staff, non-state actors and private sector organizations.
• Establishes, promotes and maintains relationships with relevant Strategic Programmes, FAO Technical Units and Decentralized Offices in order to ensure best synergies between investment, policy and innovation work in support to Member Nations.
• Prepares reports in accordance with governments and financing partners’ requirements.
• Assists in the identification of different typologies of farmers and their specific constraints and potentials, as well as in the analysis of the existing agricultural policies and their outcomes and recommendations of changes in policy if needed.
• Supports the identification of options for improving farmer’s access to technical advisory services and finance and the preparation of all aspects pertaining to the targeting and the development of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) strategy and in facilitating dialogue with Producers’ Organizations and other value chain stakeholders.
• Supports the identification of constraints and opportunities to enhance the productivity of agricultural production systems with emphasis on sustainability of farming practices and environmental impact.
• Participates in the design of agricultural activities and components of investment operations, including systems of implementation support and monitoring and evaluation of the impacts of agricultural and rural development projects.
• Participates in the provision of practical productivity and sustainability improvements to existing farming systems and in the formulation of crop budgets and technical parameters for the establishment of farm models for financial and economic analysis.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, sociology, social development, anthropology, rural development or a closely related field.
• Three years of relevant experience in planning and implementing agricultural development programs, including experience in the formulation and/or implementation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment operations in developing countries and/or countries in transition.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of French and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of English.
• Results focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Extent and relevance of experience in technical fields related to rain-fed and irrigated agriculture, livestock, fisheries, and forestry, in developing countries and countries in transition, including in the development of sustainable production and food systems, and agricultural services.
• Extent and relevance of experience in participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investment operations.
• Extent and relevance of experience in investment design, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and other partner International Financial Institutions.
• Knowledge of the context as well as partners and institutions of the specific subregion would be an asset.
• Extent of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resource management and agro-processing investments.
• Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in French.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English is considered a strong asset.