Call For Expression Of Interest - Temporary General Services Positions
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The positions are located at FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy.
General Service Positions
The functions in the General Service category include administrative, secretarial and clerical support which contribute to the smooth and efficient running of the work units.
Short-term appointments are designed to facilitate the discharge of administrative support functions of a temporary nature.
The appointment will be on a short-term contract, initially lasting for 2 months, with a possibility of extension up to 11 months, subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization.
Temporary General Service Assignments are junior positions and do not carry any expectation of, or imply any right to, further extension, renewal or conversion to any other appointment.
The objective of the Call is to attract talent for the Temporary General Service positions as they become available. The Call will create a roster of Applicants that will be used to identify candidates for junior positions at Grades G-1 and G-2 based on the experience and language qualifications.
Below there are some examples of different functional areas covered by the roster:
• Finance Support
• Human Resources Support
• Office Support
• Meetings and Travel services
• Programme Support
• Security Services
Minimum Requirements - CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING:
• Education: Secondary School Education.
• Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant experience in related positions.
• Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• IT Skills:
o Knowledge of the MS Office applications, internet and office technology equipment.
o Proficiency in corporate electronic databases and systems would be an asset.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge of corporate computerized Financial / Travel / Human resources systems
Main responsibilities and tasks for the General Service positions
The key functions/ results include BUT ARE NOT limited to:
• Sort, register and route correspondence; type and format routine documentation, tables, reports, etc.;
• Receive, screen and direct telephone calls and visitors; respond to routine internal and external enquiries and/or refer to appropriate contacts/units;
• Enter, retrieve, structure and update selected information and data from easily accessible sources (e.g. Intra-/Internet, office files, source material, publications, surveys, reports etc.); present results in standard format;
• Set up and maintain office files and reference systems according to standard procedures;
• Initiate, view and track a variety of administrative transactions in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
• Prepare standard statistical reports, tables and diagrams to show evidence and comparison of statistical information to facilitate further review and analysis;
• Support the organization and administration of meetings, workshops and events;
• Ensure availability of office supplies and appropriate maintenance of office equipment;
• Ensure the initiation of a variety of transactions in the Organization’s computerized administrative systems.
• Prepare draft cost estimates and budget proposals and participate in budget analysis and projections;
• Assist with the familiarisation of security procedures, respecting planned security measures; ensure safety in case of fire or emergencies, and assist people in evacuating the building; carry out entrance checks of people, goods, and ensure their safety and check alarm systems.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
• Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
• The length of the appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to extension of appointments
• General Service Staff are recruited locally. To be eligible for this position, candidates must be nationals of the country of the duty station or possess an existing visa/work permit, and reside within commuting distance of the duty station at the time of the application."Commuting distance" means the distance within which staff members can travel daily between their place of work and their residence.
• No international benefits will be payable as selected candidates are recruited locally and paid in the local currency of the office location
• For additional information visit the FAO employment website:
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link:
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Once completed, please apply and submit your application.
• Candidates are requested to attach their language certificates andor transcripts of the courses, if any, to the online profile . Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications. FAO reserves the right to request candidates to undertake a language test in the future, as appropriate.
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
• Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered
• If you need assistance please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENTfalse
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: