- Organization: SPC - Pacific Community
- Location: Nouméa
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: Closed
- Noumea-based position
- Attractive expatriate package
- Join the principal development organisation in the region
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our unique organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Fisheries, Aquaculture and Marine Ecosystems (FAME) Division includes the Oceanic Fisheries Programme (OFP) and Coastal Fisheries Programme (CFP). The goal of the OFP is to ensure fisheries that exploit the region’s resources of tuna, billfish and related species are managed for economic and ecological sustainability using the best available scientific information. In pursuing this goal, the OFP provides scientific support for the management of fisheries for tuna and associated species, with a strong focus on stock assessment and modelling, fisheries and ecosystem monitoring and analysis and data management. The OFP works closely with member countries and territories, the Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission, the Forum Fisheries Agency, the Parties to the Nauru Agreement and other regional and sub-regional entities.
The role – the Full-Stack Developer will have the following key responsibilities:
OFP database management systems
- Design, develop, document and maintain the regional tuna fisheries database systems for the registration, entry, importing and querying of data.
- Dissemination of OFP data and data summaries in accordance with the OFP policy on the dissemination of data, as requested.
Fishery monitoring and data management support for SPC members
- Develop and maintain national fisheries database management systems, in particular, the TUFMAN2 tuna fisheries database management system.
- Develop and maintain mobile applications to be used to collect tuna fisheries data.
Capacity building of SPC members
- Train national staff in the use of fisheries database management systems and mobile applications.
- Support the countries in a timely manner.
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- Specialized degree in IT, computing, science, or maths.
- At least 4 years’ experience administrating SQL databases.
- At least 4 years’ experience with Git and CI/CD.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and development of mobile device applications.
- Experience as an Analyst, working with the client to get their information system requirements.
- Good communication skills in English.
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Proven ability to supervise the tasks of an inter-disciplinary and/or multi-cultural team.
- Knowledge of Pacific Island countries and territories is an advantage.
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – This vacant position is budgeted for 3 years and is subject to renewal depending on funding and performance.
Remuneration – the Full-Stack Developer is a band 10 position in SPC’s 2023 salary scale, with a starting salary range of 3,568–4,364 SDR (special drawing rights) per month, which currently converts to approximately XPF 540,472–660,991 (USD 4,781–5,847; EUR 4,529–5,539). An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration being given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale is based on annual performance reviews. SPC salaries are not presently subject to income tax in New Caledonia.
Benefits for international staff employees based in New Caledonia – SPC provides subsidised housing in Noumea. Establishment and repatriation grant, removal expenses, airfares, home leave travel, health and life and disability insurances and education allowances are available for eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Employees are entitled to 25 working days of annual leave per annum and other types of leave, and access to SPC’s Provident Fund (contributing 8 % of salary, to which SPC adds a matching contribution).
Languages – SPC’s working languages are English and French.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilinguism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will begiven to the Pacific Islander. Applicants will be assured of complete confidentiality in line with SPC’s private policy.
Closing date: 26 March 2023 – 11:00 pm (Noumea time)
Job Reference: SH000271
Applicants must apply online at http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference.
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening questions (maximum of 2.000 characters per question):
- Describe, using examples, applications you have developed using a web front-end framework (Angular, React, Vue, etc) and an Asp.Net API in C#, or similar relevant products.
- Describe the best versioning strategy you would implement for multiple developers working on the same application code base. What tools would you use?
- What are the main challenges in developing and implementing mobile applications to collect data in Pacific Island fisheries?
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: