Senior Statistical Assistant
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Montreal
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: Closed
Post Number : 1CAUIS0083PA
Grade : G-6
Parent Sector : UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
Duty Station: Montreal
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 24-MAR-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Are you passionate about education and data? Do you have a desire to make a real impact in the world by using data to inform policies and decision-making? If so, then the Senior Statistical Assistant role at the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) may be the perfect fit for you!
The UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) produces data to fuel the policies and investments needed to transform lives and propel the world towards its development goals. Providing statistical and technical inputs for global, regional and funding mechanisms for education, the UIS enables the work of the UN Transforming Education Summit, the Global Education Cooperation Mechanism (GCM), G7, G20, etc. The UIS meets data needs for emerging priorities, for example, most recently, tracking and monitoring impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on education worldwide. The UIS maintains the most comprehensive education statistics database in the world – the official source of data of the UN system, used for various purposes, including for the SDG monitoring.
Established in 1999, the UIS serves as UNESCO’s statistical agency. The UIS is focused on delivering cross-nationally comparable data for global, regional and development agendas, covering the fields of education, science, culture, and communication and information. The UIS assures the technical support for Member States to produce transformative data based on the 3 pillars (Standards and methodologies; Data production; Brokerage and outreach). The UIS vision, described in its 2022-2029 Medium Term strategy, is to serve the needs of Member States, ensuring that their policies and decision-making are informed by sound statistical information, that they can benchmark progress towards national and international goals, and learn from the experience of others.Long Description
The UIS is seeking to build a pipeline of talent to facilitate a quick selection and deployment of Statistical Assistants. This announcement is not related to any current open position. However, all applications received will be reviewed and will be subject to a selection process to assess the relevant professional experience and qualifications of the candidates.Long Description
MAIN TASKS & RESPONSILITIES
Within delegated authority, the Senior Statistical Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
• Compiles, processes and manipulates data sets derived from a variety of sources.
• Assembles and examines original statistical material to ensure accuracy, clarity and validity; makes appropriate adjustments.
• Updates statistical series in established formats. Applies new data and derived statistics, enters data on survey reports, and provides information for publication.
• Prepares charts, graphs and other outputs for reporting and presentation of various data.
• Maintains relevant computerized databases.
• Responds to internal/external requests on questions related to specific programme(s).
• Assists in liaising with United Nations system organizations to obtain necessary statistical and other relevant information.
• Prepares data sets upon request, responds to queries/requests and maintains/updates web pages.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Completion of secondary, technical or vocational education is required.
• A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in data science, statistics, finance, accounting or related area is required.
• Experience in the use of statistical software for data validation and processing, such as R, Python or Stata, and management of large databases and multi-source datasets is required.
• Good knowledge of MS Excel, MS Access and SAS is required.
• Experience with analytics and data visualization applications (MS PowerBI, Qlik, Tableau or similar).
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• An aptitude for numbers and the ability to present statistics in tabular and graphic form are required.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to manage and analyse large data sets with a statistical package.
• Good organizational skills are essential for timely implementation of work plans. As well as, excellent team spirit and the ability to maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
• Excellent knowledge of EnglishDESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- University degree or advanced university degree in data science, analytics, statistics or a related field is desirable.
• Experience with official statistics is desirable.
• Experience in data processing is desirable.
• Experience in data scripting is desirable.
• Experience in responding to inquiries and updating web pages is desirable.
• Experience in computer programming (e.g. SQL, VBA, Java) is desirable.
• Experience in supporting the implementation of projects or activities with multiple stakeholders is desirable.
• Experience in working with the United Nations system or similar international organization is desirable.
• Experience of working in education statistics.
• Professional experience in a government or international organization.
• Experience of working in a development context.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated writing abilities including contribution to or (co-) authorship of technical papers and analytical reports, preferably in the field of learning assessments or a related area.
- A very good working knowledge of French would be an asset
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: