Country Coordinator Uganda
- Organization: Malteser International
- Location: Uganda
- Grade: Senior level - Senior
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
MI has been operating in Uganda since 1996. The politically stable East African country is hosting more than 1.5 million refugees, mainly from South Sudan, DRC and Burundi. That is why one pillar of MI's work in Uganda is focused on providing humanitarian assistance to refugee and hosting communities. At the same time, development projects such as the implementation of a nationwide Emergency Medical Service are at the core of MI's activities in Uganda. The main sectors are Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Health, Food Nutrition Security and Livelihoods (FNSL) and Environment. The regional office in Kampala has developed into an important hub for MI in the region. MI is active in the South West and West Nile region of Uganda with offices in Arua and Nakivale. Since the 2016 World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, the humanitarian community has been urging the strengthening of local and national actors. MI has a strong partnership concept and several projects in Uganda are implemented with or directly through national and local partner organizations.
For its work in Kampala, Uganda, Malteser International is looking for a motivated Country Coordinator.
As Country Coordinator you will provide overall leadership, strategic direction, and operational management in line with Malteser International’s strategy, policies, procedures, and guidelines. Together with the Country Management Team you are responsible for a sound financial management of the allocated funds as well as for the acquisition of additional funding. Projects and programs are implemented with and through local partner organization. As the country coordinator you represent MI at country level in coordination bodies and networks; you lead a team of national and expatriate staff and you are expected to take the responsibility for security management of all staff.
- Oversee program operations in compliance with Malteser International as well as donor regulations and procedures
- Contribution to the development of Malteser International´s country strategy in Uganda and in Africa
- Develop staff capacity of local partner organization to ensure that staff can fulfil the required administrative, financial and project cycle management targets
- Active networking and representation of Malteser International in Uganda vis-à-vis national authorities, national and international institutions, organizations, partners and donors
- Management and supervision of international (4) and national staff (36) with technical and managerial support to all team members in fulfilment of their duties according to project objectives
- Ensure implementation of security guidelines, monitor the overall security situation and adapt program implementation accordingly
- Graduate or post graduate degree with relevant experiences in emergency relief, rehabilitation and/or development aid
- Minimum 3 years overseas working experience in a (senior) management position in humanitarian assistance and development programs with experience in either of the sectors: WASH, health, livelihood and/or environment projects
- Experiences in working with and through national partner organizations, understanding of the localization approach
- Excellent and proven interpersonal communication and leadership skills to diplomatically manage relationships with local partners, authorities and donors
- Strong international project management skills, community-based approaches would be an asset
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills, German would be an asset
What we offer:
- Start Date: 01.06.2023
- Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
- Duration of contract: 24 month (extendable)
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, housing allowance
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please have a look here.