Associate Programme Officer - Peru
- Organization: IDEA - International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
- Location: Lima
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: Closed
International IDEA supports electoral reform to ensure efficient electoral processes with integrity, transparency, representation, and inclusion through technical assistance aimed at opening spaces for dialogue and consensus in which politicians, electoral bodies, and civil society organizations, among others, participate.
In this regard, International IDEA and the European Union (EU) entered into an Agreement to implement the project "Consolidation of Peruvian Democracy", which will execute actions aimed at promoting three critical aspects of Peruvian democracy: I. The urgency of improving electoral rules, II. the crisis of political representation, and III. the need for truthful and impartial information, especially during electoral processes.
The "Consolidation of Peruvian democracy" project will be implemented through the following three main outcomes:
- Electoral policymakers and electoral management bodies support practices that foster electoral integrity, inclusion, and accountability in electoral processes, in line with the recommendations of the EU-EOM 2020 and ESM 2021.
- Underrepresented groups, especially women and youth, increase their political participation.
- Better-informed citizens on electoral politics value democracy and plurality.
The Associate Programme Officer will contribute to the planning and implementation of the political participation and electoral process-related activities of the project. The incumbent will also support monitoring and evaluation processes in accordance with EU and International IDEA policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the development and implementation of project activities.
- Coordinates with civil society organizations, young political leaders and women leaders, journalists, etc., to develop actions that promote better political representation.
- Supports the monitoring of activities implemented by civil society organizations, ensuring activities and reporting are delivered as per the agreed work plan.
- Contributes to the organization of project events, conferences and internal/external meetings and ensures relevant follow-up.
- Supports the team’s communication and outreach activities
- Supports the design and facilitation of workshops and training in accordance with the project’s work plan
- Collects and collates project information (testimonials, facts and figures, images etc.) and contributes to the preparation of project reports, concept notes, and briefs.
- Contributes to the design and development of knowledge products; conducts research, supports the development of papers and articles and ensures the dissemination of project outputs.
- Supports the establishment and maintenance of networks and partnership initiatives; maintains contact with diverse stakeholders.
- Contributes to the monitoring and evaluation of the project, through the collection of data and the documenting of outcomes and impact of International IDEA’s work
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in the field of elections, democracy and gender.
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders.
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required; Interacts successfully with multidisciplinary teams.
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects.
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Head of Programme - Peru
Education and Experience
- University degree in political science, law sociology, international relations or another related subject.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience working in the field of democracy promotion, supporting project implementation.
- Experience supporting project monitoring evaluation is considered an asset.
- Experience with EU-funded projects and requirements, as well as familiarity with their processes and systems, is considered an advantage.
- Experience working in an international context, e.g., in an intergovernmental organization, is considered an advantage.
- Proven experience in engaging, cultivating, and influencing stakeholders is essential.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills, and relevant experience in democracy to enhance projects and work with CSOs to strengthen the political representation and participation.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills, and relevant experience in project management.
- Field experience is considered an asset.
- Fluency in written and oral Spanish is required; Good knowledge of written and oral English is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed term appointment until 28th February 2026
- Remuneration - PEN 12 921 per month
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to the relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Peru for the duration of the contract at the time of application. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CET) on 26 March 2023.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal-opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: