Project Associate with UNODC Office in UAE-Abu Dhabi /SC 6
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Abu Dhabi
- Grade: Consultancy - SB-3 (SC6/SC7), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Drugs, Anti-Money Laundering, Terrorism and Human Trafficking
- Closing Date: Closed
The Project Associate will support the development, implementation and monitoring of programmes and initiatives within the framework of OGCCR’s umbrella project AREU51 (“Establishment of the UNODC Office for the GCC Region”), with the aim of strengthening technical cooperation with the Government of the UAE as well as the other GCC countries – Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia – in the fields of drug control, crime prevention and criminal justice, in line with UNODC’s Strategic Partnership with the GCC Countries.The Project Associate will work under the direct supervision of the Programme Management Officer and the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative for the GCC Region. S/he will also work in close collaboration with the Programme, Project and Operations staff in UNODC OGCCR, as well as relevant thematic branches and sections in HQ and/or FOs.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support legal and policy research and analysis
- Support drug and crime related data reporting
- Support programme development
- Support project implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Perform additional duties as required by management
1. Support legal and policy research and analysis, with focus on achieving the following results:
- Maintain a repository of knowledge resources including laws, policies, strategies and caselaw from the GCC countries relating to the implementation of international conventions, standards and norms in drug control, crime prevention and criminal justice.
- Conduct research and analysis of GCC countries’ laws, policies, strategies and caselaw in the areas of UNODC’s mandate to help identify potential legislative and technical assistance needs and inform programme and project development.
2. Support drug and crime related data reporting, with focus on achieving the following results:
- Maintain a network of designated national focal points from the GCC countries responsible for coordinating/submitting inputs to international mandatory data reporting mechanisms in the fields of drug control and crime prevention.
- Engage and follow up with designated national focal points for timely submission of inputs to international mandatory data reporting mechanisms in the fields of drug control and crime prevention.
- Support the planning, coordination, design and/or delivery of activities to enhance the capacity of designated national focal points and key stakeholders for the reporting of timely and quality data relating to drugs and crime.
3. Support programme development, with focus on achieving the following results:
- Contribute to the analysis of the drug and crime situation in the GCC region to help inform programme and project develoment.
- Contribute inputs to the drafting of programme and strategy documents relating to UNODC’s engagement with the GCC countries, particularly in the fields of drug control and crime prevention.
- Draft concept notes and project proposals for GCC partners and counterparts in the fields of drug control and crime prevention.
- Participate in partnership-building meetings.
- Draft new partnership agreements and follow up on their clearance.
4. Support project implementation, monitoring and reporting, with focus on achieving the following results:
- Contribute inputs to the development/update of project work and monitoring plans as well as logical frameworks.
- Draft agendas/programmes, terms of reference and information notes for activities in the fields of drug control and crime prevention.
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of training materials in the fields of drug control and crime prevention, including presentations, case studies, mock trial scenarios, exercises, reference publications and tools, assessment questionnaires etc.
- Support activity planning, coordination, design and/or implementation, particularly in the fields of drug control and crime prevention, including follow-up on experts and participants’ nominations as well travel details and/or online access details, preparation of certificates (of attendance or completion), preparation and delivery of presentations etc.
- Participate in project coordination meetings.
- Collect and analyse data as per project indicators.
- Contribute inputs to the preparation of project progress reports to UNODC and donors.
5. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing among OGCCR staff and other personnel, with focus on achieving the following results:
- Participate in training courses and modules to keep abreast of new developments relating to the key functions of the Project Associate.
- Assist with capturing and documenting lessons learnt during project implementation.
- Contribute to the regular exchange of information, results and good practices with other project teams.
- Participate in networks and communities of practice to facilitate cross-learning.
6. Perform additional duties as required by management on an ongoing basis:
- Contribute to the drafting of a variety of written outputs, such as background and working papers, official correspondence, analytical and activity reports, presentations, briefing notes, summaries, technical briefings, talking points and speeches, web stories and press releases, and provide inputs for the development of substantive publications, syllabi and training materials, as required.
- Attend and take notes at meetings, as required.
- Translation of written outputs, as required.
- Perform any other tasks, as assigned.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNODC mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnership and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Communications: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Professionalism: Good knowledge of UNODC’s mandates, priorities and operational modalities. Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
BA degree in law, international affairs, sociology, economics, other social sciences or related fields is required.
Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant working experience (legal research and analysis, project management) are required at the national or international level. Working experience in the field of crime prevention is desirable. Experience with the UN is an asset. Experience in the GCC countries is an asset.
Fluency in both English and Arabic languages (read, spoken and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Excellent computer skills, including the usage of Office software packages (MS Word, Excel, PPT etc.), knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, and experience in handling of web-based management systems, are desirable.
This post is open for national of the UAE or other nationalities holding a valid residency in the UAE.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: