TRANSPORT ASSISTANT [Temporary]
- Organization: UN - United Nations
- Location: Baghdad
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-4, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Transport and Distribution
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: Closed
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located within the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Baghdad, Iraq. Under the overall supervision of the Chief Transport Officer, the incumbent reports to the Regional Transport Officer.Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Chief Transport Officer and direct supervision of the Workshop Manager, the incumbent will be fully responsible for the following duties:
• Services and repairs vehicles in accordance with vehicle manufacture standards and Schedules.
• Identifies, diagnoses and rectifies various mechanical and electrical faults.
•Conducts electrical/electronic diagnostics and have the ability to use the latest vehicle diagnostic tools and equipment.
•Ensures that all relevant safety procedures have been followed when repairing and fitting replacement parts.
•Coordinates the provision of ad-hoc transportation requirements.
•Assists in the selection and recruitment of dispatch drivers.
•Updates and maintains a detailed database of vehicle usage summaries and statistics as may be required.
• Prepares and disseminates information regarding transport services and transport facilities available to mission personnel.
• Carries out any other duties as assigned.
Professionalism: - Fully conversant with all mechanical repairs for light and commercial vehicles both gasoline and diesel-fueled. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all area of work.
Client Orientation: - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from the clients' point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.Job - Specific Qualification
A valid national driving license for “C” category is required.
Vocational qualification in driving test or nationally recognized driver-testing qualification, logistics management, vehicle mechanical training or related field is desirable.
At least three (03) years of progressively responsible experience in Transport field or related areas is required.Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, knowledge of English and fluency in Arabic is required.Assessment
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.Special Notice
• This position is temporarily available until 31 December 2023. If the selected candidate is a staff member from the United Nations Secretariat, the selection will be administered as a temporary assignment.
• While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post.
• Subject to the funding source of the position, the eligibility for this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
• This temporary job opening may be limited to "internal candidates," who have been recruited through a competitive examination administered according to staff rule 4.16 or staff selection process including the review of a central review body established according to staff rule 4.15.
• Staff members of the United Nations common system organizations who will reach the mandatory age of separation or retirement within the duration of the current temporary need period are not eligible to apply.Submitting an application or selection for the current temporary job opening does not delay or increase the mandatory age of separation.
• Retirees above the mandatory age of separation who wish to be considered for the current temporary job opening must indicate the reason for their last separation as "retirement." Such retirees shall not be employed by the Organization, unless (a) the operational requirements of the Organization cannot be met by staff members who are qualified and available to perform the required functions; and (b) the proposed employment would not adversely affect the career development or redeployment opportunities of other staff members and represents both a cost-effective and operationally sound solution to meet the needs of the service.
• All non-Iraqi applicants need to have a valid work permit for Iraq and need to upload a copy of such a work permit.
• Applicants must ensure that their name in the application matches the name on their national
passport or Government provided national Identification Document (ID). A discrepancy between the name in the applicant's application and national ID/passport may impact the recruitment process.
• The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance and geographical diversity in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter of the United Nations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts. The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability, differential power, or trust, for sexual purposes, including, but not limited to, profiting monetarily, socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another. The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature, whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions. The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation, when such conduct interferes with work, is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment, and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship. Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible. The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer, or promotion of staff shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. By accepting an offer of appointment, United Nations staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and assignment by him or her to any activities or offices of the United Nations in accordance with staff regulation 1.2 (c). In this context, all internationally recruited staff members shall be required to move periodically to discharge new functions within or across duty stations under conditions established by the Secretary-General.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations, resolutions of the General Assembly, the Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: