Facilities Management Officer
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid level - P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Closing Date: 2023-04-03
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through the FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Infrastructure and Facilities Management Service (CSLI) within the Logistics Services Division (CSL) is responsible for the maintenance of the headquarters’ premises and for providing services to FAO employees. CSLI also assists FAO Decentralized Offices in facilities maintenance, technical projects, infrastructure activities and technically innovative systems to reduce their carbon footprint. In addition, CSLI coordinates the special safety projects funded by the Government of Italy, which involve upgrading headquarters’ buildings to the current safety norms. Furthermore, it promotes the implementation of the Corporate Environmental Responsibility Strategy within headquarters and Decentralized Offices. The post is located in the Facilities Management Service (CSLI) at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The Facilities Management Officer reports to the Senior Facilities Management Officer, Head of CSLI.
The Facilities Management Officer will focus, in particular, on all the technical installations of the headquarters’ premises specifically, electrical, security and air-conditioning systems as well as providing technical support for Decentralized Offices. The Officer will develop and manage energy saving projects in line with the Corporate Environmental Strategy and streamline operations by adopting an Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS).
Plan and coordinate programmes/projects for the administration of physical operations and contribute to the safety of the Organization's staff and premises.
• Coordinate and supervise the maintenance of FAO headquarters’ facilities, including both civil and technical infrastructures, performed by CSLI staff and external contractors;
• Advise and support the Senior Facilities Management Officer in the planning of major maintenance works to be performed by FAO staff and contractors and/or by the Italian authorities, owners of the FAO headquarters’ premises;
• Prepare the design and cost estimate of infrastructural projects to maintain and increase the efficiency of FAO facilities and monitor the execution of works;
• Manage all the technical contracts for electrical installations, Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) systems, security systems, antennas and plumbing, etc. while ensuring also that safety procedures are respected;
• Prepare tender specifications for technical systems, maintenance and services relative to the areas and projects of responsibility, and monitor contractors' performance;
• Support the Senior Facilities Management Officer in the preparation of the biennial spending programme;
• Ensure the full implementation of corporate initiatives in accordance with the Corporate Environmental Responsibility Policy to reduce emissions, increase efficiency and integrate sustainability, based on Strategy for Sustainability Management in the UN System;
• Research and study application of new systems and technologies and develop actions with FAO staff and/or contractors in order to achieve cost savings and reduce the carbon footprint of FAO's internal operations;
• Act as contract manager for some of the concessionaires contracts;
• Act as focal point for the business continuity of CSLI;
• Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Senior Facilities Management Officer/Head of CSLI;
• Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or related fields;
• Seven years of relevant experience in facilities management, including maintenance contracts and/or in planning and implementing technical projects in the electrical and HVAC field for large buildings;
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Length and relevance of experience in facilities management, maintenance and technical systems for very large office premises, in particular in Italy;
• Relevance of experience with procurement of outsourced facilities management services;
• Extent and relevance of experience in implementing projects for technical installations such as medium tension electrical systems, security systems, solar hybrid systems and work safety in large buildings;
• Extent and relevance of experience in traditional and modern HVAC systems and plumbing systems of large office buildings;
• Extent of knowledge of the UN system rules, policies and practices related to procurement of outsourced facilities management is considered an asset;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of corporate environmental responsibility;
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions, is desirable;
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of Italian is considered a strong asset.