Chief of Party
- Organization: Jhpiego
- Location: Bangladesh
- Grade: Senior level - Senior
- Operations and Administrations
- Democratic Governance
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
Chief of Party
- Job ID
- International Positions
- Employment Status
- Contingent Upon Award
Jhpiego seeks a Chief of Party to provide vision, leadership and direction to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, and financial integrity for an upcoming USAID-funded maternal, newborn & child health, family planning and adolescent health project in Bangladesh. The project aims to integrate health services focusing on reducing preventable maternal, newborn and child deaths and also encompasses health systems strengthening, district accountability and governance, and quality improvement. The project is expected to operate over a five-year period.
The Chief of Party (COP) will have the overall responsibility for leadership and management and reporting of all project activities. The COP will be responsible for making key decisions and solving problems in short timeframes while ensuring operational and project quality and integrity. They will serve as the project’s main point of contact with USAID and the Government on routine and strategic matters. The COP will ensure effective organizational management and communication with host country governments and key stakeholders at all levels, including international entities.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID.
All qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of the project and to achieve rapid and sustained goals, objectives and targets
- Ensure the project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of countries, its people and donors
- Ensure compliance with the terms of the award and organizational compliance and adherence to policies and guidelines;
- district and sub-district offices, related Ministries, public health partners, member organizations and professional associations, private health care networks, local civil society organizations and local research institutions to maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort;
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Provide technical leadership and ensure the quality and sustainability of interventions
- Collaborate with the project team to build capacity in areas of health systems strengthening, MNCH, family planning, and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH).
- Lead the annual work planning process with the project team, and in close collaboration with USAID, MoHFW, and district/sub-district offices, key stakeholders, partners, and ensure effective resource planning and utilization;
- Responsible for the overall management of the project budget and ensure the project delivers on time, on scope and on budget;
- With the Technical Director /deputy COP oversee the preparation, and timely submission of quality project reports to donor
- Participate in relevant technical working groups and other knowledge exchange forums and provide technical leadership and guidance as required.
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Lead and motivate the project team, ensuring high levels of performance across all areas, fostering a culture of critical strategic thinking;
- Provide guidance, in collaboration with staff, to sub-grantees and partners to ensure they deliver on their scope.
- Support the development of local organization capacity development plans;
- Write and/or review project materials and publications
- Work with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) staff to develop M&E frameworks and effectively track data/results
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets.
- Coordinate efforts with the country team lead to ensure alignment with organizational strategy, mission and goals.
- Advanced degree in public health or a related field;
- 10+ years' experience successfully managing large, multi-partner, multi-sub-grantee, multi-year international health sector development projects that have implemented successful activities in maternal, newborn and child health, family planning, ASRH, and health systems strengthening,
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing project systems and overseeing project start-up and close-out
- Experience working with sub-/grantees, local and international and knowledge of capacity development approaches for locally-led development
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to translate data into action, and communicate results to wide ranging audiences.
- Previous experience working in Bangladesh with intimate understanding of local health system and gaps and opportunities in the above mentioned technical areas;
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs and CSOs
- Previous experience working on USAID-funded projects, matched with an in-depth knowledge of USAID regulations, compliance and reporting requirements
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume and references.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer