Operations Assistant: Procurement Assistant
Addis Ababa | Bahir Dar
- Organization: SNV - Netherlands Development Organisation
- Location: Addis Ababa | Bahir Dar
- Grade: Administrative support - Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: Closed
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, is operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopians through a market-based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV's operations, visit our website: g
Context and Purpose of the job
The Procurement assistant is part of the SNV Amhara Regional operation team, which focuses on providing procurement-related support at Amhara regional office to ensure the availability and quality of procurement and contract management system to fully support SNV operations in the Amhara region.
The main purpose of the Procurement Assistant is to work as part of the SNV Amhara regional operation team, and assist management of the regional procurement process. The procurement assistant is responsible for ensuring quality in procurement management support for the SNV Amhara Regional office.
- Receive and process orders assigned by the Procurement and fleet officer at the Amhara regional Office
- Support the procurement and fleet officer in preparing a quotation for suppliers and service providers, with complete specifications, indicate closing dates to receive quotations, receive quotations and prepare a bid analysis as per the received quotations. If required, prepare purchase orders (POs) ensuring the correctness and details of specifications, quantities and financial information for submission and approval.
- Communicate with suppliers on needed clarifications.
- Keep a close relationship with the finance department in the settlement of supplier invoices at the regional office.
- Support procurement officer on Communication and keep the procurement database up-to-date.
- Support in collecting mandatory documents from suppliers and submit to the officer or committee in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance with SNV and donor procurement policies and procedures. Assist in the development of the vendor list and participate in market assessment as required.
- Assist the Procurement and fleet officer in the process of prequalifying suppliers and initiation of Framework Agreements in the Amhara region.
- Support on scanning and uploading in procurement share point.
- Support in receiving items and follow up with suppliers / transporters on items missing or damaged in transit.
- Ensure delivery dates and time is shared with the warehouse, procurement and regional focal person well in advance before delivery of the goods.
- Assist to ensure payment of suppliers is made promptly and that the finance department receives all the necessary documentation.
- Assist in updating procurement and other reports.
- Provide an update on order delays, shortages, cancellations or other problems to the line manager, program managers/requesters or any concerned parties.
- Develop a clear knowledge and understanding of SNV procurement and contracting procedures and application of SNV ERP as well as SBD system.
- Provides feedback to the line manager and SNV A.A. office on the performance of suppliers for each transaction handled.
- Any other task as assigned by the line manager or his/her direct line management.
- Diploma in relevant discipline with higher thinking level with relevant experience (2 or 3 years) in operations and procurement activities
- Good knowledge of purchasing systems
- Knowledge of Donor funding regulations
- Good written and spoken English
- Excellent skills in purchasing techniques within the context of this position
- Good computer skills: Excel, Word, the purchasing system and SAP BD system
- Attention to details
- Ability to plan with good organizational skills, including prioritization and ability to work under pressure
- Initiative and ability to follow up on issues
- Good reporting and communication skills
Contract Type: National
Expected start date: As soon as possible
Duty Station: Bahirdar, Ethiopia
Contract Duration: one (1) year with possible extension based on performance and budget availability.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package; for internationals, we offer an international benefits package and to Ethiopian nationals, we offer a competitive national package. We also offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking on the I'm Interested button and completing your application in our in-house recruitment system before or on 23 March 2023.
All information will be in the strictest confidence and in accordance to GDPR. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Women candidates are Highly encouraged to apply.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: