Information Management Coordinator
Juba South Sudan
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Juba South Sudan
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Documentation and Information Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Position: Information Management Coordinator
Reports to: M&E Manager
Supervision of: N/A
Duty station: Juba with frequent travel (at least 50%) to field locations
Project number: BHA SSFM 2124
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Role and responsibilities
The Information Management Coordinator will oversee the coordination of timely, efficient, effective and innovative information management approaches to support decision-making at at the sector and management levels. He/she will be fully dedicated to leading the establishment and oversight of information management system in South Sudan and manage the current protection-related data and information management. The IM contribute to and support protection programming in South Sudan through the collection, processing, analysis, storage and sharing of information and data in a sensitive and appropriate way in accordance with professional standards for protection work. He/she will manage and supervise the quality of data and information shared by protection teams and facilitate the collection of data and information from Protection staff on a periodic and ad hoc basis and will be responsible for consolidating the protection related data and information on national level. The PIM Coordinator will also be responsible to ensure that sector data is available when needed, assure that data accurately reflect protection activities and will submit synthesis of reports that are presented in an easy-to-read format. He/she will oversee the application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) will design, develop, and implement systems and databases to access and store geospatial data. He/she will design digital maps using geospatial data and analyze spatial and non-spatial information.
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide regular progress reports to line manager
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Establish and harmonize existing IM systems and data collection, processing, analysis, and dissemination.
- Design, implement, maintain, and oversee NRC South Sudan IM systems by incorporating IM tools, approaches and matrix system.
- Identify and obtain needed data/information elements required to produce standardized IM products.
- Design and implement a structured dissemination plan for all IM products as appropriate including the definition of standard operating procedures for clearing information products for release.
- Lead on the development of the protection information management strategy and relevant SOPs
- Manage the Protection database and IM system including storage handling and dissemination of data to other NRC departments and/or external actors.
- Develop a clear sector information management flow chart and schedule for programme staff.
- Rollout standardized protection database and information management systems and oversee the implementation and management of sector database and IM systems
- Ensure data protection by ensuring there is provision for data security, including strict data handling and confidentiality protocols, regular backup, and recovery control.
- In collaboration with programme staff, coordinate data collection processes; and lead the collection, processing, analysis, storage, sharing and use of data and information to enable evidence-informed action within programme.
- Design and generate information products for data visualization based on the information management priorities set by the programme.
- Provide technical oversight, support and guidance on the use and implementation of IM systems
- Enhance the knowledge and capacity of programme staff in the use and implementation through on-the-job/training mentorship, peer-to-peer support, IM working group etc.
- Organize and facilitate in-person and virtual training sessions on IM systems, tools and database.
- Timely share relevant information on IM systems, tools, and database
- Process data and support the Specialist, Programme Development Managers and other relevant staff in the compilation and dissemination of information
- Serve as the GIS technical lead and point of contact for NRC South Sudan GIS and related matters and lead the design, development, management and update CC geodatabases.
- Design, develop, customize, and maintain spatial data, analyses and information products using GIS and related software and subsystems.
- Develop regular GIS/information analysis products that illustrate scale and impact of NRC’s programming and also contextual developments that affect NRC’s interventions in South Sudan.
- Coordinate the acquisition of new spatial data and lead its integration into NRC’s existing GIS and information analysis products.
- Train the M&E staff and other relevant staff on the utilization and navigation of GIS databases.
- Manage data manipulation and generate data visualizations using ArcGIS programs mainly ArcMap for desktop and ArcGIS online using web maps and story maps.
- Work with each CC team to generate real-time geographic layers specific to programming.
- Ensure key spatial data and information is analyzed and presented in a suitable way to support decision-making and inform programming.
- Design digital maps with geographic data; produce accurate maps and other representations of geographical data and discover patterns and trends through spatial mapping of data.
- Participate in relevant information management and analysis coordination forums or activities.
- Assist with data collection with GPS and field collection; perform data merging and cleaning to convert data into its desired form; record and document details of map updates, additions or deletions. Manage a digital library of geographic maps in various file types.
- Perform any other task as assigned or delegated.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Programme Development Managers, Advocacy and Communications Coordinator
- CC Specialists, Conflict Analyst and Cluster coordinators.
- Field based protection staff
- Area and country level Monitoring and Evaluation staff and teams
- Health Safety and Security teams
Competencies are important for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
- A university degree in a relevant field (such as computer science, statistic data management, social science, humanitarian, development, or a related subject area).
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in information management, information systems, web management, data management, geographic information systems & mapping, data visualization, or other related areas is required.
- Understanding of GIS and cartographic outputs, and the ability to collect and organise data to support production of information management (IM) products
- Experience in programming using databases and maps and in managing spatial data and information.
- Knowledge and experience of programming with databases and maps, use of programming languages would be an asset.
- Experience of designing and maintaining relational databases.
- Experience with GPS measuring tools; knowledge and/or experience of ESRI ArcGIS or equivalent software suite.
- Demonstrated skills in PC troubleshooting, software and hardware support, networking, data backup, creating data entry forms and generating database report.
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel, Access or other databases and other modern tools.
- Proficiency and experience with mobile data collection such as Kobo, Commcare, ODK Collect is vital as well as proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Access, or other similar software.
- Computer proficient, with experience using Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point including online communication platform such as Zoom, Google Chat or Microsoft team.
- Strong knowledge of data collection, analysis and visualization tools and techniques, such as Power-BI, PivotTables/charts, google forms etc.
- Experience working in multisector programme will be an added advantage.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience (shall be adapted to the specific position):
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic and focus on results
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good ability to work independently
- Sensitivity and high levels of self-awareness
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Good English language skills
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills
DUTY STATION AND LIVING CONDITIONS
The Protection Information Management and GIS Coordinator position will be based in Juba and will require the staff to make frequent travels to project locations in South Sudan with more focus on Jonglei and Central Equatoria states. The employee will be responsible for finding his or her own accommodation at the duty station however, NRC will provide basic accommodation during field travels.
The employee will be accountable for and evaluated on the responsibilities and the competencies, based on NRC’s Performance Management System. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description.
- The individual Work- and Professional Development Plan.
- The Competency Framework.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: