Food Security and Livelihoods Team Leader
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Gadaref
- Grade: Junior level - Junior
- Security and Safety
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2023-03-31
Job title: Food Security and Livelihoods Team Leader.
Employment category: G - Manager
Eligible for delocalization
Reporting to: Area Manager
Direct report: FSL Officers/Assistants
Overall purpose of the role:
The FSL Team Leader is part of DRC FSL Team in Gedaref; he/she will work under the line management of Area Manager. This position directly manages FSL field teams.
The FSL TL shall operate in Gedaref with frequent travels to other parts of Gedaref where DRC has or may have operations.
Hence, the FSL TL bears the direct accountability for the quality implementation of FSL activities.
FSL activities in Gedaref are focused on: provision of essential FS inputs (such as food and seeds) at crucial moments of lean season and training of beneficiaries on agronomic skills and post-harvest handling and management; besides that, FSL TL shall also build DRC staff capacities; and, when requested by circumstances, he/she represents the Organization in coordination and technical fora, at Locality and State level.
FSL is integrated with other DRC Sectors (Protection) therefore FSL TL is requested to support and follow‑up crosscutting FSL issues with other Sectors and Partners.
Project Management and Implementation:
- Organize and ensure the implementation of activities as disposed by current projects
- Ensure the thorough and rational the implementation of said activities through organizing FSL team work by:
- setting up teams workplans according to the overall Programme plan
- setting up workload balance
- monitoring the application of workplan and related progress
- Ensure that all stages of implementation (from assessment to provision of assistance) are relevant and adhere to plans and criteria devised by DRC and Donor’s standards, and that they are technically sound;
- Have continuous presence on the ground to ensure the quality of activity implementation and provide technical advice to field project staff as necessary;
- Regularly and accurately collect and compile activity records and all other relevant documentation/MoV to feed timely donor reporting.
- Apply and ensure the application of protocols and guidelines for FSL activities.
- When necessary, participate in the staff recruitment process, new staff on-boarding and induction process, capacity building, and performance appraisal of FSL staff.
Programme Development and Quality
- Support Area Manger in developing strategic FSL documents and in identifying gaps and opportunities for further programming, needs assessments and gap analyses
- Carry out directly training/coaching actions for junior staff aimed at increase quality of the implementation; including hands-on coaching, guidance and technical support to programme staff, ensuring clarity over programme plans and priorities.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Collaborate with M&E team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed while gathering appropriate and accurate data on FSL outcomes;
- Coordinate FSL assessments, with support from the MEAL Department.
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Ensure financial accountability of FSL programme
- Ensure FSL Team raises Purchase Requests (PRs) in a timely manner, in-line with DRC standards, and follow-up procurement processed with the Supply Chain Department;
- Ensure that HR policies are followed, including completion of regular Performance Management Meetings, with all FSL staff;
- Ensure familiarity with DRC’s Operational Handbook;
- Support the Area Manager in the identification and management of warehouse facilities; in collaboration with the Support Services TL, ensure updated inventory and stock records, and supervise the proper management/stock of the supplies.
Coordination & Representation
When requested and/or necessary:
- Represent DRC in technical and coordination fora at Locality and State level
- Under supervision of Area Manager coordinate at ground level with national, local and international actors to ensure smooth and timely implementation of the activities
- Support Area Office Senior management (Area Manager, Protection Manager, etc.) to relate with local and State relevant stakeholders.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 4+ years of proven experience in implementing field-based FSL activities for Refugees, Returnees, IDPs
- At least 3 years of proven experience in implementing said activities in a managerial role
- Wide understanding of humanitarian principles and their application, including community safety and rights-based approaches
- Knowledge of FSL standards and guidelines
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
- Skills in Project Cycle Management, including creating work plans, delegation of responsibilities: setting clear milestones, organizing work and monitors progress
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid environment: cultural sensitivity and respectful of local contexts
- Ability to effectively engage and communicate with communities in a responsible manner
- Proven experience in Emergency Response is an asset
- Proven experience in providing technical guidance and training including development of training materials is an asset.
Education and skills: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- University degree or higher education in Agriculture, Natural Sciences or related field or equivalent work experience;
- Computer skills (including MS Office package).
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic
- Good command in written and spoken English.
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Area Manager DRC
- Protection Manager
- Technical staff and support staff at Area Office
- Head of Programme/Head of Support Services
- HAC, UNOCHA, UNHCR and other humanitarian partners
- State and non‑State bodies in Gedareff.
In is position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: 9 months
Level: Manager - G
Salary range: 1836-1988 Based on Experience.
Expected Start date: As soon as possible
Note: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note.
Applications close: 31/3/2023
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org