Citizenship and Immigration Intern
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Elizabeth
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Closing Date:
TITLE: Citizenship and Immigration Intern
LOCATION: Elizabeth, NJ
START DATE: Ongoing
DURATION: 4-6 months / 15-24 hours per week
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in more than 40 countries and over 20 U.S. cities, the IRC provides resettlement, education and empowerment support to refugees and displaced people.
· Assist with planning lessons and refining curriculum as necessary.
· Tutoring clients remotely on Civics Questions and Interview Prep and reviewing their immigration applications with them.
· Meet with supervisor.
· Conduct outreach.
· Assist immigration team with tracking student attendees.
· Attend In-Person sessions to support or independently teach classes if appropriate.
· Other related duties as assigned by the Citizenship Instruction Coordinator.
1. Student will learn about immigration law and policy
2. Student will learn about the citizenship and naturalization process
3. Student will develop and refine tutoring and teaching skills
4. Student will learn how to interact with multi-cultural and limited English-speaking clients
· Undergraduate/graduate student required
· Familiar with the mission of IRC and willing to represent it appropriately
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with refugees, asylees and other immigrants
· Ability to work well with a culturally diverse staff
· Prior experience in immigration or teaching a plus
· Part or full-time internship; more than one position available
This position reports to the Citizenship Instruction Coordinator.
IRC leading the way From Harm To Home.