- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Harare
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Biology and Chemistry
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Closing Date: Closed
The UN Clinic was established to provide competent primary health care services in Zimbabwe for UN personnel and their eligible dependents. The clinic is mandated with the provision of workplace occupational health care management systems and structures, to ensure a robust response mechanism to staff and dependents health challenges. Whilst curative care is equally important, special emphasis has always been on promotive and preventive health care management services.
The UN family in Zimbabwe has not been spared by the COVID-19 pandemic and this saw the need to enhance the capacity of the UN Clinic staff. During the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic , extra staff was hired for the UN Clinic on a temporary basis to augment the existing medical staff to strengthen the fight against the pandemic. This staff structure was partly maintained as a measure of preparedness against future waves of COVID-19 , other pandemics and leverage the effects of the deterioration of the health delivery system in the country.. The economical situation in the country has also seen alarming exodus of health care personnel including doctors, nurses, laboratory scientists, nurses’ aides etc. This situation makes our roster ineffective with difficulties to get the selected health personnel when needed.The additional staff will be required to start as soon as possible and continue for the period covering 12 months. This is to ensure that adequate care is given as and when needed to UN Staff and dependents.
- Draws blood samples applying international sterilisation and bio safety standards.
- Fast and efficient resolution of all problems related to laboratory performance.
- Perform all laboratory tests as requested by the Medical Doctor in a prompt and professional manner.
- Assist in organisation and implementation of health promotion/monitoring programmes.
Regular maintenance of all laboratory equipment following the technical specifications of the manufacturers of the equipment.
- Proficient communication and coordination with maintenance technician and prompt facilitation of an on-site service needed.
- Proper reporting of problems to manufacturer's customer service.
Safe handling of bio-hazardous materials
- Ensure safe handling of bio-hazardous materials in compliance with the international standards and practices.
- Collects and labels urine, stool and sputum samples for different tests following international bio safety standards.
- Autoclave and sterilize the instruments and containers following international standard of bio safely.
- Ensure appropriate disposal of hazardous material following international standards of bio safety in coordination with the medical doctor, Nurse and pharmacist.
- Perform diagnostic and screening laboratory tests using the available equipment and instruments.
- Report in a timely fashion result of tests to the medical doctor.
- Ensure that the reports are managed in timely, promptly and confidential manner.
- Ensure the results for the patient using the services of VCT are managed in a confidential manner.
- Ensure proper management of reagents stock; Keep an up-to-date inventory records of laboratory supplies and ensures that the supplies are always replenished and adequate.
- Make arrangements for outside tests for UN staff when required.
- Keep records of all work done in the laboratory and provide statistical report in regard to laboratory services.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver
calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision- making
- Health waste management
- Diagnostic capacity and procurement of laboratory equipment, consumables and reagents
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
- Health emergencies.
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy.
- Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests.
- Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff
- Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity.
- Ability to build and maintain an overall positive public image for the organization, its mandate and its brand, while ensuring that individual campaigns and other communications and advocacy initiatives are supported in reaching the public.
The UN Clinic laboratory Technician performs his/her functions under the direct supervision of the Health Manager of the UN Clinic. The UN Clinic operates under the general supervision of UNDP on regards of all administrative matters.
A Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science, Medical Laboratory Science or related degree with 3 years’ experience Or High School Diploma / Medical Laboratory Technician Diploma with 6 years’ experience
- 6 years' experience in a similar role with Diploma or a degree in medical laboratory science plus 3 years' experience in a similar role.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Knowledge of laboratory management systems or processes
- Experience in regular maintenance of all laboratory equipment in line with the technical specifications of the manufacturers of the equipment.
- In-depth knowledge in the safe handling of bio-hazardous materials
- Experience in proper management of reagents stocks.
- Previous working experience with the UN would be an added advantage.
- Experience in the area of regular maintenance of all laboratory equipment.
- Technical knowledge on Lab operational systems and standards including pandemic and epidemics.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience in confidential record keeping
- Previous working experience with the UN would be an added advantage.
Fluency in written and spoken English and basic working knowledge in both Shona and or Ndebele.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: