PESTICIDE PACKAGING WASTE AND AGRICULTURAL PLASTICS WASTE MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Home Based - May require travel
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Remote | Home Based - May require travel
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Biology and Chemistry
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Waste Management
- Closing Date: Closed
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO representatives, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The FAO Representation in Bangladesh is organized around three main units: Programme, Operations and Administration and has a sub- office in Cox Bazar. The current portfolio of projects includes activities related to Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource Management.
Under the overall managerial administrative leadership of the FAO Representative in Bangladesh the consultant will be under the direct supervision of the Senior Technical Adviser.
The incumbent will contribute to the country's programme and portfolio as foreseen in the country programme framework and specifically Pesticide packaging waste and agricultural plastics waste management.
Tasks and responsibilities
• In consultation with the Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) and Department of Environment (DoE) develop and agree on a roadmap for the implementation of a self-sustainable waste management system for pesticide packaging and agricultural plastics.
- Review and where lacking provide recommendations on adequate regulatory and administrative provisions/guidelines
- on the operational and financial roles and responsibilities of the pesticide industry and agricultural input distributors in a tailored collection scheme for empty pesticide containers and agricultural plastics
- on hazardous waste (de-)classification criteria for primary pesticide packaging waste as a requirement for its utilization as feedstock material for recycling
- on safe cleaning measures for empty pesticide containers at farm level;
• Facilitate a consultation process on pesticide packaging waste and agricultural plastics management in Bangladesh among relevant stakeholders ;
• Design and implement a survey of mass and type of pesticide packaging and other agricultural plastics in use in Bangladesh and of current disposal practises in Bangladesh;
• Develop a strategy to fully integrate the pesticide industry in Bangladesh in the development of viable solutions for pesticide packaging waste and agricultural plastic waste, including: .
- Advise the Bangladesh pesticide industry in the development of a business model for a collection and disposal scheme (Producer Responsibility Organisation, levy-structure, incentive-concept);
- Propose a funding model ensuring transfer of responsibility and long term sustainability;
• Under full integration and shared-responsibility of the pesticide industry design a division-wide pilot initiative to trial proposed management options for pesticide packaging waste and agricultural plastics;
• Organize a farmers’ awareness programme through DAE and BCPA to raise the level of awareness of farmers on safe handling, storage, and transport of pesticide packaging waste including (a) triple rinsing of rigid pesticide containers and (b) bundling of flexible pesticide bags and store and transport these in closed plastic bags to collection points.
• Implement and monitor the pilot initiatives and prepare a report with final recommendations for future development and action to comprehensively address pesticide packaging waste and agricultural plastics in Bangladesh;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Master’s degree in agricultural engineering, chemical engineering, polymer engineering/science or related fields;
• 12 years of relevant experience in pesticide packaging waste management (preferably pesticide packaging) including plastic recycling and/or energy recovery in international projects or international organizations;
• Working knowledge (level C) of English and limited knowledge (level B) of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian). For PSA, working knowledge of English is required.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strong analytical skills: ability to summarize and present complex information in effective manner.
• Skills in networking, negotiation, persuasion and advocacy for mainstreaming new concepts and approaches.
• Excellent communication skills including, extent and relevance of experience in programme/project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation.
• Relevant work experience in Bangladesh and Asia is an asset.
• Relevance and extent of knowledge and experience in working with UN Coordination, Civil Society Organization, national governmental, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: