Associate Translator/Interpreter (G6)
Under the supervision of the National Executive Officer, the Translator/Interpreter Associate (G6) is responsible for providing translation and interpretation support for the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek (POiB). The Translator/Interpreter Associate provides written translations of official correspondence from and into English, Russian and Kyrgyz languages, reviews and ensures the accurate translation of technical material and reports produced throughout POiB, accompanies the POiB Senior Management and high-level visitors to facilitate dialogue by providing both consecutive and simultaneous interpretation at meetings and events; conducts trainings on the use of official terminology in the formal correspondence for POiB staff.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the National Executive Officer, the successful candidate will be tasked with the following duties:
- Provides high level consecutive and simultaneous interpretation services at meetings, seminars, negotiations and other POiB events including one to one and group situations; assists the Office of the Head of Mission to organize conferences, seminars, training courses and meetings with a variety of national and international participants; interprets messages simultaneously or consecutively into specified languages, maintaining message content, context and style as much as possible;
- Translation of a wide variety of written materials from English to Russian and Russian to English, as well as from/to Kyrgyz, including newsletters, bulletins, forms, letters, legal documents, memoranda, notices and teaching materials;
- Participation at meetings, conferences and social gatherings and interpretation and translation of technical terminology; provision of explanations to facilitate communications, promote understanding and develop rapport with Russian/Kyrgyz/English speaking counterparts;
- Edit and proof-read texts produced within the POiB before they are submitted further to the OSCE Secretariat, governmental counterparts, international partners, or otherwise widely shared;
- Provide advice and training to the staff of the Office on the use of proper OSCE and official terminology;
- Perform other related duties.
For more detailed information on the structure and work of the OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek, please see: https://www.osce.org/programme-office-in-bishkek.
- Completed secondary education supplemented by formal studies or training in languages, translation and interpretation, and relevant specialized studies;
- Ability to deliver high quality oral consecutive and simultaneous interpretation services;
- Extensive experience in written translation services;
- Minimum six years of relevant work experience in translation and/or interpretation; a first-level university degree in a relevant field shall be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience, an advanced university degree for two years of working experience;
- Professional fluency in English, Russian and Kyrgyz language with excellent communication (both oral and written) skills;
- Computer literate with practical experience in Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability and willingness to work as a member of team, with people of different cultural, and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
Monthly remuneration, subject to social security deductions is 1048.25 Euro/month. Social benefits will include Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.
Appointments are normally made at step 1 of the applicable OSCE salary scale. At the discretion of the appointing authority a higher step may be approved up to a maximum of step 3 subject to specific conditions.
If you wish to apply for this position, please use the OSCE's online application link found under https://vacancies.osce.org/.
The OSCE retains the discretion to re-advertise/re-post the vacancy, to cancel the recruitment, to offer an appointment at a lower grade or to offer an appointment with a modified job description or for a different duration.
Only those candidates who are selected to participate in the subsequent stages of recruitment will be contacted.
Please note that vacancies in the OSCE are open for competition only amongst nationals of participating States, please see https://www.osce.org/participating-states.
The OSCE is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious, ethnic and social backgrounds to apply to become a part of the Organization.
Candidates should be aware that OSCE officials shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner befitting the status of an international civil servant. This includes avoiding any action which may adversely reflect on the integrity, independence and impartiality of their position and function as officials of the OSCE. The OSCE is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. For more information on the values set out in OSCE Competency Model, please see https://jobs.osce.org/resources/document/our-competency-model.
Please note that for this position the OSCE does not reimburse expenses such as travel in connection with interviews, tests, visas and relocation.
Please be aware that the OSCE does not request payment at any stage of the application and review process.