- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: San José
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date:
Job Overview: The IRC’s Resettlement, Asylum, & Integration (RAI) department works to create opportunities for refugees and other vulnerable migrants to survive and thrive in the U.S. and Europe through a diverse portfolio of programs aimed at five core outcomes: Health, Safety, Economic Wellbeing, Education and Power. As part of its strategy, the IRC is focused on becoming an outcomes- driven, evidence-based organization with a commitment to data-driven programing. The IRC in Northern California (NorCal) is composed of four offices in Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, and Turlock / Modesto. The NorCal office supports a diverse group of clients including refugees, asylees, asylum seekers, trafficking survivors, and immigrations from a range of backgrounds. The NorCal office programs are focused on refugee resettlement, economic empowerment, health and wellness, immigration services, anti-trafficking support, and more. The summer program assistant will be an integral part of the office, supporting successful client engagement, engaging with office leadership, and bringing a creative lens to the public service and social innovation work of the IRC.
This is a part time, eight week opportunity for current students to provide direct support to one of our Northern California offices. We are seeking to hire 4 summer assistants, each one to be based in one of our offices. This person will be supporting the management and implementation of strategic, cross-departmental initiatives that enhance the IRC in NorCal’s ability to meet client needs. The aim will be to place each student with a specific project in their respective IRC office.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Support efforts to link clients with appropriate educational, health, and social services.
- Carry out timely pre- and post-arrival tasks to ensure each client has living essentials such as housing, food, medical care, and access to transportation, and is oriented to their new environment.
- Input client information in database(s) and assist with tracking and reporting as needed.
- Collaborate effectively with coworkers and partner organizations. Build and maintain relationships with area service providers for the benefit of clients.
- Work on special projects supporting various programs and leadership.
- Engage in a mentorship relationship with a member of the IRC senior leadership team
- Other duties as assigned
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Active university student. Community college students actively encouraged to apply.
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Effective communication and writing skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects;
- A strong desire to help people and enthusiasm to work in a multi-cultural setting;
- Background or desire to work in social work, nonprofit or related fields preferred.
- The position requires approximately 25 hours per week at an estimated US $23.20/hour.
- Hybrid in-person remote work, with at least 2 days per week in person. In-person work to include engagement with clients within the service delivery area.
- 8 week role
Posted pay ranges apply to US-based candidates. Ranges are based on various factors including the labor market, job type, internal equity, and budget. Exact offers are calibrated by work location, individual candidate experience and skills relative to the defined job requirements.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires new hires to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.