Program Coordinator Afghanistan / Pakistan
- Organization: Malteser International
- Location: Islamabad
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
MI has been active in Pakistan since the Kashmir earthquake of 2005 and has been providing humanitarian aid after disasters and in crisis. Our aid focuses on healthcare, livelihood security and disaster risk reduction. Since 2014, our activities have targeted communities in the Swat and Peshawar regions (KPK province) and in various districts of Sindh province. MI has a country office in Islamabad. In Afghanistan, MI has been implementing programs since 2008 by local partner organizations. MI plans to extend its relief operations in Afghanistan.
For its work in Pakistan and Afghanistan, Malteser International is looking for a motivated Program Coordinator to coordinate, lead and supervise the country-wide program implementation and development.
As Program Coordinator, you will oversee the project implementation and provide overall leadership and effective coordination of MI project teams and partners in Pakistan, as well as the MI partner program office and partner organizations in Afghanistan.
- Give programmatic and strategic advice to MI teams and partners in Afghanistan and Pakistan
- Organize and coordinate support for project teams and partners in Afghanistan and Pakistan and ensure successful and high-quality implementation and compliance with international standards as well as donor and MI regulations and guidelines
- Arrange regular, documented project team meetings to discuss and plan program objectives and to improve the exchange on best practise and lessons learned
- Ensure participation of MI in relevant coordination mechanisms, meetings, conferences, and technical working groups based on our strategic profile in the countries
- Identify new and maintain existing relations to in-country donors and undertake all in-country negotiations related to programming and contracts in close coordination with the Country Coordinator
- Ensure proper reporting to MI and to donors
- Take lead in need assessments, mainly in proposal writing and editing of different reports
- Continue to foster and inspire the respectful, trustful and collaborative partnerships between Malteser International and partner organizations and provide technical/ managerial guidance and support
- International work experience of at least 7 years; work experience in Afghanistan and Pakistan is an asset
- Strong program background in humanitarian settings and/or complex emergencies
- Experience with the mainstreaming of quality standards (knowledge management, gender, inclusion, FRM, people centredness, MEAL etc.)
- Familiarity with donor standards and requirements (mainly German donors, UN, etc.)
- Experience in the management of staff and large multidisciplinary teams
- Knowledge of operational aspects of programs (Log and Finance) desired
- Team Player, stress resistant, culturally sensitive
- Fluent English communication skills, German language skills would be an asset
What we offer:
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Duty Station: Islamabad, Pakistan (with frequent travels to Malteser International’s program sites)
- Duration of contract: until 30.09.2025
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, one home flight per year of employment
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please have a look here.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: