Government of Yemen – INGO Humanitarian advisor
FIXED TERM | 12 MONTHS | JUNE 2023
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED has been present in Yemen since 2012 with a coordination office in Sanaa, and 6 area offices in Aden, Al Dhalee, Marib, Saadah, Dhamar, and Al Hudaydah. ACTED currently intervenes in 8 governorates (Aden, Al Dhalee, Al Hudaydah, Abyan, Marib, Raymah, Saadah, and Dhamar). Key areas of intervention focus on providing emergency response, Durable Solutions, and sustainable development depending on each governorate’s unique circumstances. ACTED achieves these goals by focusing on several key sectors, namely: WASH, Food Security and Livelihoods, Sustainable Agriculture, Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Infrastructure Rehabilitation, Economic Recovery, Capacity-Building of Local Civil Service Organizations, and Cash & Voucher Programs. ACTED is a proud member of the Cash Consortium of Yemen (CCY), Yemen Displacement Response (YDR) consortium, and recently led a flagship consortium project focused on developing Pathways to Durable Solutions for IDPs in Yemen.
Prior to the commencement of conflict in Yemen in 2015, ACTED focused more heavily on development projects (infrastructure, sustainable WASH, etc.), whereas the needs began to shift towards emergency response programming as the situation evolved. In response, ACTED has adapted its programming to best suit the needs of each governorate, whether that be emergency response, sustainable development, or through a hybrid approach.
You will be in charge of
The GoY INGO Humanitarian Advisor is responsible for ensuring the INGO coordination mechanism for the South/GoY areas of Yemen is a well-run and inclusive INGO network that works impartially with all partners active in Yemen and represents the position of the global South INGO community on key humanitarian issues. S/he leads meetings, spearheads joint INGOs initiatives, and works to enhance engagement of INGOs throughout coordination mechanisms. The Advisor reports to the South Steering Committee (SSC), and the group is accountable to the overall national CD group.
The Advisor ensures effective information exchange, representing and advocating on common positions and agreed interests of the INGOs. The position aims at building sustainable and productive relationships between INGOs, authorities, UN, Donors, and diplomatic missions in-country, taking into consideration the operational complexities. The Advisor is also responsible for the secretariat of the GoY INGO Coordination group. S/he supports the work of the SSC through the following key tasks: coordination, information sharing, advocacy, policy/position paper production, authorities/donor/UN engagement.
The successful candidate will serve as the focal point for the coordination needs of INGOs operating in the South of Yemen and is expected to ensure the neutrality and credibility of its information and representation. The Advisor will work towards; 1) Strategic coordination and oversight of the GoY INGO Coordination Group secretariat; 2) Coordination and Communication; 3) Partnership Relations.
- Strategic coordination and oversight of the South INGO Coordination Group secretariat
- Coordination and Communication
- Partnership Relations
Expected skills and qualifications
- 4 years’ experience in humanitarian programming (ideally in an emergency setting, protracted crises, refugee/IDP crises, or post-conflict recovery), with at least 2 years’ experience in country program senior management.
- Previous experience with directly coordinating INGO networks or sectors/clusters desirable.
- Experience in representation at HCTs, inter-cluster meetings, and other IASC coordination mechanisms, as well as with governments, donors, national civil society, and UN agencies.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN system, humanitarian coordination architecture, and humanitarian principles is required.
- Demonstrated management skills.
- Experience developing or managing humanitarian policy analysis and advocacy.
- Knowledge of the Yemen context is an asset.
- Master’s degree in humanitarian affairs, development studies, public policy, international relations, or a related field (or equivalent professional experience) is required.
- Fluency in English. Arabic is desirable
- Salary between 3425 and 4900€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Rest & Recuperation (R&R) every 2 months, flight tickets covered up to $500 and allowance of $200
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 3-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) Including the reference: INGO Humanitarian Advisor/ YEM
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: