Data Analysis Advisor
Tegucigalpa | Mexico City | Panama City
HIAS seeks a Data Analysis Advisor to help maintain and grow the HIAS Reporting Platform. The Reporting Platform is a data warehouse that is connected to HIAS’ proprietary Global Case Management System (CMS) and hosts other secondary databases. The Data Analysis Advisor will work alongside countries currently using the CMS and onboarding to the CMS. This currently includes Mexico, Aruba, Guyana, Kenya, Costa Rica and Venezuela, and will extend to other countries and regions over time.
The Data Analysis Advisor contributes to the development and implementation of organization-wide reporting policies and tools for data analysis and visualizations at the country and global levels. They will support country offices to develop dashboards, support them with technical training, support data privacy and security in regard to data sharing, and develop best practices and standard operating procedures.
The Data Analysis Advisor supports HIAS’ central data management/case management function through establishing a consistent reporting practice, standard operating procedures, platform and strengthening the integration between country offices and HIAS HQ, to maintain and improve usage of the reporting platform and increase data quality. With direct management and technical supervision from the Assistant Director, Strategic Information & Performance, the Data Analysis Specialist is responsible for building the capacity of country office staff and providing in-country and remote support. They will work closely with the country program teams and the regional management team to deliver on essential duties. They will work closely with SAM’s Regional MEAL Advisors and other MEAL roles (HQ and country-based) to develop and validate data analysis plans and guidelines, ensure reporting platform and templates are fit for purpose and refer/escalate relevant areas for MEAL support as needed.
Note, this position is based at our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland or our office in New York, New York, and we will consider a remote option for applicants who live outside of commuting distance to either of our offices and are based in other states in which we are registered (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin).
This position can also be based in the LAC region in countries where HIAS has existing operations.
- Leads in creating a global vision for the HIAS CMS Reporting Platform by collaborating with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Develops alongside stakeholders a vision on the use of statistics and analytical data products, particularly in planning, programming and advocacy, at the country, regional and global levels as appropriate.
- Develops or revises statistical concepts, definitions, standards and classifications used in HIAS’ decision making.
- Contributes to data, information management and registration strategies with statistical and data analysis elements.
- For data collection or statistical analysis activities that exist in the HIAS CMS Reporting Platform, works with stakeholders in developing plans and monitoring implementation to ensure statistics and analysis are of highest standards.
- Leads in the design and implementation of relevant statistical analytical products and oversees their production, including quality assurance.
- In coordination with sectoral and other data staff, applies statistical scenarios and models based on historical, recent and seasonal information to support comparative country, regional and global analysis, including political and sociodemographic trends.
- Facilitates open access to anonymized forced displacement data while addressing protection and privacy concerns.
- Work with regional data systems staff to conduct trainings and capacity development activities to improve technical and data analytical skills of global and country office staff.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree in demography, geography, statistics, economics, data science, quantitative social sciences or a related field; 4-6 years of relevant experience with a graduate degree, or 5 years with undergraduate degree.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills in English required; Spanish fluency preferred.
- International experience strongly preferred.
- Strong background in quantitative methods, including experience with descriptive statistics and data management.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proven experience in data collection, cleaning, processing, compilation and statistical analysis in humanitarian, development or social services contexts; field experience in any of these functions strongly preferred.
- Proven experience creating and maintaining effective data visualizations and/or dashboards using PowerBI, Tableau or similar platforms.
- Familiarity using data analytical software, such as Stata, SAS, SPSS, R, Python or other.
- Experience developing methodological statistical standards and working with national and/or international statistical systems.
- Understanding and knowledge of the management of statistical databases, systems design and the production of statistical data in all phases of the data lifecycle.
- Experience with training and capacity development with people of differing skill levels, roles and backgrounds.
- Excellent problem-solving and teamwork skills.
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening or ESR.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts and history of the Jewish people—a history of oppression, displacement and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
HIAS is committed to the protection of children, vulnerable adults and any other person from any harm caused directly or indirectly due to their coming into contact with HIAS. We will not tolerate sexual exploitation, abuse or any form of child abuse or neglect by our staff or associated personnel. Any candidate offered a job with HIAS will be expected to sign and adhere to HIAS’ Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policies. All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records. HIAS also participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. Likewise, HIAS will share this information when other organizations inquire about current and former HIAS staff as part of their recruitment process. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Please submit your application, resume and cover letter to our website: Data Analysis Advisor - Careers At HIAS Inc. (hrmdirect.com)
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: