Thailand: Green City Project Support Intern
- Organization: GGGI - Global Green Growth Institute
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-06-30
Thailand: Green City Project Support Intern
The Global Green Growth Institute Internship Program (also called "Grow Green" Program) provides a unique learning opportunity for students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds. The program is designed for talented and motivated individuals skilled in areas relevant to GGGI’s operations. The program allows selected candidates to gain insight into the work of GGGI, and provides assistance and training in various professional fields in a multicultural environment. We encourage qualified women and men, in particular, nationals of developing countries, with diverse professional, academic, and cultural backgrounds to apply.
The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), headquartered in Seoul, Republic of Korea, is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as green growth, which targets key aspects of economic performance such as poverty reduction and job creation, as well as social inclusion and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and the private sector to help build economies that achieve strong growth and are less carbon-intensive, more resilient to climate change, and more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources.
GGGI's Internship Program is a project-oriented learning opportunity for students and recent graduates (within the last 12 months) to gain experience through specific assignments based on GGGI's current operational needs. GGGI welcomes motivated, open-minded, and self-directed individuals to apply. You will be given an opportunity to work directly with outstanding and inspiring Green Growth professionals, participate in workshops and meetings, and contribute to analytical work as well as innovative rethinking on green growth.
With a large construction industry, buildings in Thailand pose a number of challenges including
project implementation and scalability under new national building standards, reliance on air
conditioning, and inadequate at source waste management infrastructure. GGGI Thailand’s program
focuses on “physical green infrastructure” for waste management, green building, and green industry
sectors. GGGI’s climate action will mobilize green investments through the formulation of green
growth policies, strengthening national mechanisms, institutional capacity building and climate
finance mechanisms, including carbon pricing. In essence, Thailand program is a practical Green
Cities program. Circularity, resource efficiency, methane mitigation and innovation enhancements are
the key drivers.
We are looking for a talented and motivated individual to work with us in Thailand Country Office
Team to provide substantive support with a focus on;
• Bio-Circular-Green Economic Model;
• Integrated municipal solid waste management;
• Low-carbon and energy efficient buildings and industries;
• Advanced renewable energy sources;
• Bio-based materials; and
• Innovative green financing instruments
The intern will support the team in technical backstopping, report writing, collecting data, documenting
stories and providing logistic support in the field office. More specifically, s/he will (the assignment
will include the followings but not limited to): assignments will include the followings but not limited
• Conduct analytical research in support of the delivery of outputs under different programmatic
solutions of the Thailand Country Team
• Perform background research for and provide inputs to funding proposals, concept notes,
operational strategy and other project documents.
• Support the development of knowledge sharing products and tools, including mapping of
existing knowledge and identifying gaps based on stakeholder needs analyses.
• Engage with various stakeholders and government officials associated with the projects to
support day-to-day activities on monitoring, external communication, coordination, etc.
• Support in preparation of coordination of meetings, organizing workshops/ trainings/ site visits
and other day to day operational activities of the office.
• Accompany project team when required to meetings and field visits to support and learn under
• Assist in writing, editing, and designing technical reports and knowledge products
• Provide ad-hoc support to GGGI Thailand Country Program.
Applicants to the GGGI internship program must at the time of application meet the following requirements:
• Be enrolled in a Bachelor’s (final year), Master’s or PhD program prior to internship assignment, or a recent graduate within the last 12 months.
• Be engaged or recently engaged in academic study in a field directly related to GGGI’s work.
• Possess an excellent command of English.
• Academic or experience background in City and Urban planning, Metropolitan Planning, Spatial Analysis, GIS technology, Climate Change and Sustainable Development (CCSD), public policy, international studies, environmental policy, economics, business, communications or a related field preferred.
• Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn various topics of sustainable development.
• Excellent English communication skills, particularly writing and/or editing experience in one or more fields related to green growth or international topics in professional context.
• English is the working language of GGGI. Proficiency in Thai is highly desirable and a plus.
• Proven computer literacy in standard office software applications, standard Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook) and graphic design software applications (photo and video editing) as well as willingness to learn new tools.
• Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds and timezones.
• Thai national. We also encourage female applicant to apply.
• Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
• GGGI evaluates applications based on: eligibility requirements, relevance of academic study and work experience (if any); and the level of interest and motivation to contribute to development work.
• Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.