- Organization: ESO - European Southern Observatory
- Location: Paranal
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2023-06-02
The successful applicant will be an engineer in the Software Group within the MSE Department at the Paranal site of the La Silla Paranal Observatory. The MSE Department, with a workforce of 85 engineers and technicians, provides maintenance and technical support to the four 8m VLT telescopes, to the VLT Interferometer with its auxiliary telescopes, the VST and VISTA survey telescopes, and to all instruments available for scientific observations. The Software Group comprises 15 engineers and is responsible for software maintenance of the telescopes, instruments, and VLT interferometer.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will have the following main duties:
- Maintenance and support of software written in C/C++, TCL/Tk, Python, and different Web technologies.
- Troubleshooting and following up on operational problems.
- To be the software specialist in a multidisciplinary team performing commissioning/testing of new systems developed by external parties and to act on the role of designer/developer for new internal applications.
- Participate in general group activities and perform other tasks as assigned.
- To maintain reliable configuration management of the software systems and applications.
- To extend and maintain the Observatory software development and a test environment based on Linux and a large set of mainly open-source tools.
- To define, implement and execute test cases, automate whenever reasonable and document results.
The Group Leader of the Paranal Software Group.
The candidate has ideally three years of professional experience in:
- C/C++ and python development.
- Linux environment.
- Setting-up, preparing and maintaining SW development and test environments.
- Experience in test automation.
It would be a plus if the candidate also has experience in:
- DevOps development and testing
- Jenkins, JIRA, SVN/Git, Docker.
- Databases (SQL and/or NoSQL).
- Real-time and/or distributed control systems development and testing.
The candidate has ideally several of the following competences (technical and soft):
- Builds and manages collaborative working relationships with customers.
- Provides clear, concise, and timely oral and written communications, identifying the key issues, examining options, and proposing a way ahead.
- Balances conflicting demands and responds quickly to changes in priorities in line with agreed overall objectives.
- Monitors progress of own work and delivers to agreed deadlines and standards.
- Is flexible and adapts quickly to new ways of working or new responsibilities.
- The ability to work in a team of engineers and astronomers, maintaining and improving complex equipment and systems
University degree in Software or Electronics Engineering, Computer Sciences or equivalent.
ESO is an international organization where the official language is English. It is required that the candidate has a good command of written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Contract:
We offer an attractive remuneration package including a competitive salary and educational benefits, as well as financial help in relocating the candidate's family, where applicable. ESO aims to support members of personnel in maintaining a good work-life balance.
The initial contract is for a period of two years with the possibility of indefinite extension, subject to evaluation.The title or grade may be subject to change according to qualification and the number of years of experience.
For further information, please visit https://www.eso.org/public/archives/static/jobs/conditions/brochure-lsm-updated-jan2020.pdf
Paranal Observatory located 120 km south of the city of Antofagasta, Chile. The working schedule will be 8 days on duty and 6 days off duty (8x6) with accommodation provided on site.
If you are interested in working in areas of frontline science and technology and in a stimulating international environment, please visit http://www.eso.org for further details.
Applicants are invited to apply online at https://recruitment.eso.org/. Applications must be completed in English and should include a motivation letter and CV. Please note that the interviews will be conducted in English.
No nationality is in principle excluded from employment at ESO, however, non-Chilean applicants to this role must reside in Chile and have a pertinent working permit, according to Chilean regulations, at the time of their application.
ESO is committed to equal opportunities. The post is equally open to suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity or religion.
Closing date for applications is 2 June 2023.
Interviews are expected to start soon after this date.
An important element in any successful employment relationship is harmony in values between an organisation and its people.
The ESO values are:
ESO strives for excellence through innovation.
ESO provides outstanding services to its communities.
ESO fosters diversity & inclusion.
ESO believes in the key role of sustainability for its future.
Achieving the above are recognized as only possible on the basis of personal values and attitudes that we expect from our employees: respect, integrity, accountability, commitment, collaboration, and clear & open communication. Applicants to any ESO role are asked to reflect on their affinity with these values and advised they may be asked about them if called for interview.
ESO has established diversity as an important value of the Organisation, is committed to providing an equal opportunities environment and is actively seeking to promote a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. Please visit https://www.eso.org/public/about-eso/sustainability/dei-at-eso/ for further details.