Database Administrator (P-3)
The Administration Division manages the OPCW’s day-to-day human resources, finances, and logistical support, and coordinates knowledge management.
The Division also represents the Technical Secretariat during sessions of the Advisory Body on Administrative and Financial Matters (ABAF), and serves as the point of contact for the OPCW’s External Auditor.
- Contract Type
Total Estimated monthly remuneration depending on post adjustment and family status: USD
- Closing Date
The incumbent of this post will effectively manage to provide reliable and secure ICT services in support of all OPCW programmes and activities.
Full lifecycle (Sourcing, Planning, design, development, test, implementation, administration, maintenance and support, decommissioning) of Information and Communication Technologies systems and services, including but not limited to: Local and Wide Area Networks, Unified Communications, Internet, Intranet, World Wide Web, Data Centre services, Business Systems, Infrastructure Systems, Mobility (remote access), and underpinning services, systems and contracts to deliver such services to the OPCW.
Under the supervision of the Head, IS Operations, Infrastrucure and Support, the incumbent performs the following duties:
• Full lifecycle (provisioning, design, installation, administration, maintenance, troubleshooting and performance optimisation) of all SQL servers across the organisation, including SQL servers dedicated to specialized applications. Development or acquisition and use of the tools necessary to perform and automate these operations;
• Set up and maintain database environments for all stages of the software development lifecycle;
• Architect and manage internal and external data connections for analytics platforms;
• Support ICT projects and initiatives as domain expert in the area of databases, data conversion, database performance, and data integration with managed systems.
To view the complete Job Description, please click the link here.
Qualifications and Experience
Essential: Advanced university degree in Computer Sciences, Information Technology, Information Management, Engineering, Mathematics or a field related to Information Technology; a first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience (minimum 7 years) may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. An equivalent or specialised training in combination with qualifying experience (minimum 11 years) may be accepted in lieu of a university degree.
Practical knowledge of developing, testing, deploying, tuning, securing, auditing, and maintaining relational databases based on SQL technologies, supporting solutions developed in-house, ERP, ECM, and specialist applications.
Knowledge of protocols, security, capacity management concepts and performance tuning.
Knowledge of Microsoft-Based environments, including Windows Networking and IIS
Desirable: Microsoft Certification(s) in the area of data management, windows server, Microsoft Azure, and Business Intelligence are highly desirable.
Knowledge and Experience
• At least five years of related experience in the IT field with an emphasis on database design, administration and optimization based on Microsoft SQL, middleware technologies and other platform software based on the Microsoft portfolio of technologies supporting specialist applications, web portals, ECM, ERP, business intelligence.
• Experience with data modelling, stored procedures, index tuning.
• Experience creating and supporting scripts aiming at automation and performance optimization.
• Experience with Disaster Recovery Plans, in particular in the area of data recovery.
• Experience in leading IT Projects and/or coordinating the work of consultants.
• Experience in designing corporate database architecture for organisations with 500+ users.
• Experience in writing technical documentation, support manuals aimed at 1st and 2nd level of support.
• Experience with reporting, query tools and practices of this specific domain.
• Experience with transforming data via standardization, cleaning, data repair, matching, and data migration.
• Experience with managing data from multiple sources including internal, external, and data hosted with 3rd parties and data integration.
• Experience working with highly confidential information systems.
• Knowledge and experience of windows network administration and windows servers.
• Previous work experience in UN and/or other international organisations is desirable.
• Experience managing Window
Skills and Competencies
To succeed in this role you will need the following skills and competencies:
• Ability to quickly learn and deliver results on a broad array of products and technologies (new and legacy).
• Ability to hand over operational procedures and coach/empower junior personnel and peers.
• Ability to analyse problems and react quickly in problematic situations with minimum supervision.
• Excellent planning and organising skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
Fluency in English is essential and a good working knowledge of one of the other official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.
This fixed-term appointment is for the duration of two years with a six-month probationary period, and is subject to the OPCW Staff Regulations and Interim Staff Rules.
The OPCW is a non-career organisation with limited staff tenure. The total length of service for Professional staff shall not exceed 7 years.
The mandatory age of separation at the OPCW is 65 years.
Fixed-term staff members participate in the OPCW provident fund. A monthly staff contribution is met with a doubled amount by the OPCW to ensure separating staff have the capital necessary to move on to new challenges.
The Director-General retains the discretion to not make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description. Several vacancies may be filled.
Only fully completed applications submitted before the closing date and through OPCW CandidateSpace will be considered. Only applicants under serious consideration for a post will be contacted.
Applications from qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Important notice for applicants who are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system
Although headquartered in the Netherlands, the OPCW is not a regular Dutch employer but a public international organisation with its own special status. Please be advised that if you are currently insured under the Dutch Social Security system, you will be excluded from this system as a staff member of the OPCW. You will consequently be insured under the organisation’s system. The above also applies to your dependents unless they are employed by a regular Dutch employer, they are self-employed in the Netherlands, or are receiving Dutch social security payments.
Please refer to the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment for more information about the possible consequences for you and your dependents, such as exclusion from ‘AWBZ’ and ‘Zorgverzekeringswet’ coverage: ‘Werken bij een internationale organisatie’.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: