Expert, Green Transportation Sustainable Mobility
- Organization: GGGI - Global Green Growth Institute
- Location: Bali
- Grade: Mid level - X9
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Transport and Distribution
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2023-06-05
Expert, Green Transportation Sustainable Mobility
The Expert is primarily responsible for the development and implementation of all aspects of the project of Piloting Electric Vehicle Systems and Developing a Green Transportation Investment Roadmap for Bali, Indonesia. S/he will be responsible for managing the project to ensure that the three main outcomes are achieved:
- Implementation of a coherent and sustainable EV roadmap;
- Increased investment opportunities and commitments to accelerate the use of EV, including the implementation of an E-Bus pilot; and
- Strengthened human resource capacity and institutional framework for implementing EV policies involving public and private stakeholders.
The purpose of this role is to deliver interventions and outputs that mobilize investment to support a transition to land-based e-mobility systems and technology in Bali, thereby supporting the Indonesian government to achieve its commitment to NDC targets and objectives set under regional and national EV Roadmaps. The project will oversee the successful funding and implementation of the EV pilot initiative and trigger large-scale investment into an integrated EV-based green transportation system for Bali from 2025 onwards.
The Expert will work as a part of GGGI Indonesia Programs. At the project site, he/she will work in close collaboration with the Bali Provincial Government and relevant city/district agencies, universities, and other local stakeholders. At the national level, the position will report to the Lead, Green Cities and Low Carbon Development in the Indonesian country team to liaise with relevant Ministries, such as Bappenas and the Ministry of Transportation.
- Ensure coordination and synergies across relevant existing projects and activities on transport and sustainable mobility in close collaboration with the Indonesian country team, while effectively communicating with other relevant GGGI staff and teams to collaborate in translating thematic agenda into innovative service offerings and in-country initiatives.
- Build and maintain partnerships with regional government, development agencies, the private sector, and donors to ensure buy-in and support for effective implementation of transport and sustainable mobility project.
- Regularly update and consult with GGGI Country Representative and Senior Program Management to ensure and enhance project delivery.
- Closely communicate and collaborate with Communities of Practices Lead of Sustainable Mobility & Transport in HQ to develop and deliver the project within GGGI’s global guideline and practice, as well as, to share knowledge concerning transport and sustainable mobility
- In close collaboration with the GGGI country team, lead the development of policy advisory outputs, sectoral assessments, feasibility studies and concept notes/ pilot project proposals that appeal to donors and investors.
- Train and support staffs involve in this project and/or related to other e-mobility projects with respect to the understanding of transport and sustainable mobility, relevant skill sets, and general project management.
- Develop results reporting and evaluation of program activities and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Together with the GGGI Investment Team, identify potential bankable investment projects and liaise with relevant stakeholders to build a pipeline of priority projects.
- Supervise the development of capacity-building and knowledge-sharing materials, based on prior needs assessment, to support EV implementation in Bali. This includes activities such as designing educational materials and organizing EV-related fora targeting national and subnational stakeholders
- Represent GGGI in national and regional transport sector forums and other key meetings and events, as designated/appropriate to advocate for green growth and sustainable transport.
The primary role of the Expert is to manage a team of GGGI staff and consultants to ensure the timely delivery and safeguarding the consistent quality of outputs and activities of the he project of Piloting Electric Vehicle Systems and Developing a Green Transportation Investment Roadmap for Bali, Indonesia.
The Expert is expected to;
- Lead analysis of market, policy, and regulatory and assessment of investment needs, barriers, and opportunities
- Develop policy recommendations for charging infrastructure and design ecosystems to build a coherent e-mobility roadmap in Bali
- Lead a technological, environmental and economic feasibility study to increase opportunity and commitment for investment in e-mobility
- Design & implement e-bus pilot project and infrastructures
- Design or strengthening of local finance, support and de-risking systems for e-mobility investors, including SMEs, and secure investment commitments and develop relevant readiness preject
- Develop capacity building and knowledge exchange program between key GoI stakeholders and the private sector to support uptake of sustainable mobility
- Monitor and evaluate of project indicators in line with ODA requirements and produce regular project reports upon the request from donors and stakeholders
- Deliver the project outputs with a high degree of quality on time
- Advanced degree in engineering, urban/transport planning, economics or related field with additional expertise in environmental management and sustainable development seen as an asset.
- At least 9 years of relevant professional experience related to transport and sustainable mobility in an international setting, with experience in developing countries, particularly in Indonesia, an asset.
- Fluency in English and excellent report writing skills are essential. Fluency in Indonesian and/or Korean, will be an asset.
- Willingness to relocate to Bali, with frequent trips to Jakarta.
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience outside of home country
- Experience in engaging with development partners and other stakeholders to identify and secure funding opportunities
- Experience in project management, policy and planning, research and analysis and project design.
- Experience applying participatory approaches, gender, environmental and social inclusion safeguards.
- Leader, team player, creative problem-solver, and innovative thinker.
- Excellent multi-cultural literacy and interest in being a part of an international team working in an evolving and entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and facilitation skills.
- Understand and actively supports GGGI's mission, vision and values.
- Promote the optimum use of public resources.
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership.
- Process and share information easily.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff.
- Be able to lead where needed and support the Country Representatives to make sound decisions.
Based in Seoul, Republic of Korea, the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth", which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies and projects that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
As part of the Indonesia country program and with the support of the Government of the Republic of Korea (ROK), GGGI is assisting the Government of Indonesia (GoI), specifically Bappenas, the Bali Provincial Government and the ITDC (Indonesia Tourism Development Corporation) in transitioning to a more sustainable transportation through electric vehicle (EV) implementation. Bali Province has a planning document, namely the Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan (SUMP) for the Sarbagita Metropolitan, that provides the comprehensive direction for a shift to a more sustainable transportation system. Additionally, a Regional Action Plan for EV implementation for the entire island is currently under development, covering the technical, institutional, and financial aspects of the transition.
To support the targets stated in the documents, GGGI provides technical assistance through the project “Piloting Electric Vehicle Systems and Developing a Green Transportation Investment Roadmap for Bali, Indonesia”. The Project is designed comprehensively to include aspects of planning, funding mobilization, and capacity building to realize an inclusive EV system in the province, which also includes piloting electric buses and supporting facilities. The project will ensure inclusive and gender-sensitive development and address social and environmental safeguards. The duration of the project will be five years (2023-2027) and GGGI is appointed as the project implementer under the direction of the Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappenas).
The main beneficiary of this Project will be the Bali Provincial Government which has the jurisdiction of the target area of the Project. At the national level, the Project will coordinate and collaborate with Bappenas and other technical Ministries, such as the Ministry of Transportation and Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.