Program Coordinator Colombia
- Organization: Malteser International
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
Malteser International (MI) is the international humanitarian relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta. For over 60 years we provide relief and recovery for people during and following conflicts and disasters around the world. Christian values and humanitarian principles form the foundations of our work. In over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East, we support people in need – regardless of their religion, origin or political convictions.
Malteser International Americas (MIA) has been operational in the USA, Latin America & the Caribbean since 2014 and is currently implementing projects in the fields of Health, Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Sustainable Livelihoods, Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaption in Colombia, Haiti, Peru, Mexico and the USA. Malteser International sees health as a holistic state of full physical, mental and social wellbeing connected to water, sanitation and hygiene; food and nutrition security; shelter, and environmental health. Since 2018, Malteser International Americas has expanded its medical aid activities in Colombia as a response to the increasing influx of refugees from crisis-ridden Venezuela. Livelihood and Income Generation are of increasing importance for sustainable integration and development.
To coordinate and strategically develop our humanitarian and health portfolio in Colombia, while strengthening nexus approaches and developing strategies for livelihood and income generation, MIA is looking for a motivated Program Coordinator Colombia.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for the coordination and strategic development of the ongoing humanitarian and development-oriented health projects in Colombia in close coordination with the Country Coordinator and the HQ Program Manager for Colombia. He/she oversees and further develops self- and partner-implemented programs, will include strategies for livelihood and income-generation into the programming and ensures high quality and impact of program implementation. He/she will head the field office in Riohacha and ensures that programs are implemented on time, reaching set targets and quality standards.
- Head the Riohacha field office in program development and coordination in self- and partner-implemented programs
- Plan and conduct needs assessments and baseline surveys to measure program outputs and impacts and to set-up new or follow-on projects (conceptualizing and developing sectoral and local strategies) and plan, prepare and write concept notes, proposals and project reports as per donor requirements
- Overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of self- and partner-implemented program/projects, ensuring timely planning and implementation of program/project activities according to approved objectives, indicators and budgets
- Oversee an adequate nexus-oriented health intervention strategy, including a mental health, preventive health and nutrition component in close cooperation and coordination with other MIA health interventions and ensure that international and national standards are met
- Design long term strategies for both, humanitarian assistance and development-oriented strategies for structural improvement of access to primary and potentially secondary health care especially in remote rural areas and design long term strategies for sustainable integration and economic opportunities
- Build capacity of MI partners in regard to project management, internal protocols and quality control
- Liaise with respective networks and other organizations working in the area to stimulate cooperation and experience sharing and avoid overlapping of activities
- A Master’s degree in Public Health or field related to income generation
- At least 5 years of Project Management experience
- At least 3 years’ experience working in humanitarian context
- Experience in managing U.S. government funding is strongly preferred
- Experience in managing teams and demonstrated leadership capacity
- Knowledge of Core Humanitarian Standards
- English and Spanish language working proficiency
What we offer:
- Start Date: As soon as possible, preferably June 1, 2023
- Duty Station: Riohacha, La Guajira, Colombia
- Duration of contract: 1 year with potential for extension
- Salary according to qualification and experience; insurance package
Working for Malteser International
Malteser is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession or origin.
Malteser International is committed to safeguarding people within our programmes from exploitation, abuse and sexual harassment and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Malteser International conducts reference and background checks for all staff (including criminal records check for specific roles). Any candidate offered a job with Malteser International will be expected to sign MI’s Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Whether you work as a specialist on overseas service or in one of our regional offices - we offer you a challenging working environment in an experienced international team. More than 1,000 national and international staff are currently deployed in various crisis and disaster areas around the world as well as in our regional offices in Cologne and New York City. For more information please click here.