WASH Project Manager
Afghanistan | India
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Afghanistan | India
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date:
LocationField based position in Uruzgan, Afghanistan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
June 2023. Full time, 12 months.
Manage Medair WASH projects in Afghanistan, ensure proposal objectives are met within project timeframe and overall budget allocated, services delivered meet Medair, donor and international quality standards. Responsibilities also include managing WASH staff, coordinating with other partners to assess emergencies, contributing to design of new WASH interventions, preparing project reporting as well as planning and supporting development of new proposals. Role would also provide project management support to Food Security (FS) activities in same locations.
Medair Afghanistan has been operating since 1996 and currently works in three provinces: Daykundi, Uruzgan and Kandahar, with a country office in Kabul. Medair implements WASH, FS, Health and Nutrition programming to address growing humanitarian needs. WASH responses include construction of municipal scale water distribution networks, community protected springs, and integrated multi-sectoral hygiene behaviour change. FS responses are predominantly based on cash-assistance.
Key Activity Areas
Technical Design and Oversight
- Ensure project monitoring is conducted according to project plans
- Support agreed quality monitoring activities to meet guidelines and standards with WASH and FS Advisor
- Ensure project is implemented according to standards and practices for WASH and Cash and Voucher Assistance
- Oversee implementation of beneficiary selection processes and cash distributions according to standards and plans, in coordination with: colleagues for security management, financial management, and technical advisor
- Ensure indicators are collected, evaluation assess conducted against monitoring plans, in coord. w/MEAL Manager
- Be responsible for implementation, management, supervision, and support of assigned WASH & FS activities in line with the project plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal(s)
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and AAP in the project activities
- Develop National staff at Managerial level to build capacity & experience in Project Management and reporting
- Ensure accurate, timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports (e.g., monthly, quarterly,…)
- Input into development of country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals
- Ensure data collection is conducted according to project plans, and uploaded or provided in a timely manner
- Contribute to database management and data security
- Contribute to ongoing refinement of data tools as necessary
- Facilitate and support training of staff to ensure proper use of data management collection devices and tools
- Line-manage staff of assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, recruitment, development, training..
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback
- Provide coaching & supervision to staff to develop their leadership skills and implementation of project activities
Communication and Coordination
- Develop appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned team, Medair in-country and GSO advisors to ensure good partnerships
- Participate in coordination meetings, representing Medair, feeding back staff & field managers on relevant issues
- Liaise with WASH & FS Advisor for project updates, reporting for all technical support on project implementation
- Develop and maintain procurement plans based on project log frame and activities
- Coordinate w/Logistics, ensure clear communication on procurement, cargo transportation & supplies issues
- Monitor stock levels, expiry dates, and submit stock and purchase requests with accurate specification
- Ensure an accurate record of all assets and stock at warehouse
- Ensure ordered items are to standards, quality & specification before final delivery to warehouse
- Manage the budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance
- Conduct regular financial checks to enable forecast of under or over-spend on project; raise these occurrences to Project Coordinator, technical advisor and other senior management as necessary
- Supervise management of field team budget & cash, payment of casual labour within agreed salary scales
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts
- Contribute to development of security assessments for new locations before field teams travel. Monitor local dynamics in intervention locations and escalate concerns which may be indicators of insecurity
- Ensure the WASH and FS teams adhere to SOPs, and understand updated security protocols and information before any travel or field activities are undertaken
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary
- University degree in a field relevant to WASH
- Good English (spoken and written)
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field as a manager
- Compassion and a desire to bring relief to humanitarian situations.
- Willing to support other teams within Medair. Able to prioritise tasks appropriately. Strong communication skills.
- Good time management. Capacity to work under pressure and tight deadlines
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.