- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Kadugli
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
Protection Manager / Kadugli, South Kordofan State
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation.
DRC has been present in Sudan since 2004, delivering life-saving programming in protection, emergency response, shelter, food security and livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, camp management, DRC currently implements projects in Central Darfur, South Kordofan, Gedaref, and Khartoum states.
DRC in Sudan office is looking for an experienced Protection Manager who has overall accountability for the implementation, quality, and coordination of DRC Sudan Protection activities in South Kordofan State. This position directly line manages Protection field teams reporting to the Area Manager. Protection activities in Sudan are focused on: individual protection assistance and case management, GBV, community-based protection, child protection and increasing community cohesion. Protection is mainstreamed throughout all other programme areas (FSL, Mixed Migration, and Community-Driven Recovery) and is a key component in programme design.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Area Manager. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Project Management and Implementation:
- Oversee the implementation of all Protection programming, including programme quality and budget management across all field sites;
- Undertake regular on-site visits to monitor the quality of activity implementation at the village-level and provide technical advice to field project staff as necessary;
- Ensure the relevance and implementation of technically-sound beneficiary selection criteria and approaches;
- Support DRC offices in strengthening information management, including standardized databases for protection and planning purposes;
- Support donor reporting by providing accurate and timely input on protection activities.
- Develop protocols and guidelines for protection activities and mainstreaming and train/coach staff to understand and implement, including strong integration and cooperation, in particular with the FSL team.
- Participate in the staff recruitment process, new staff on-boarding and induction process, capacity building, and performance appraisal of Protection staff.
Programme Development and Quality
- With support from Protection Coordinator to build up and roll out a plan for creating, improving and fostering skills and capacities of Protection Team in South Kordofan. In particular for competencies directly related to delivery of quality results: such us Case Management, IPA, Protection Monitoring, etc. The Staff capacitation plan shall be structured and formalized, including individual capacity assessment (both pre and post training), milestones, priorities, etc.
- With support of Protection Coordinator develop the strategic protection framework, DRC’s Protection Strategy in South Kordofan and provide technical assistance to roll it out
- Identify gaps and opportunities for further programming, support needs assessments and gap analyses, and contribute to proposals and other programme development initiatives.
- Ensure that a protection risk analysis is in place and constantly updated in the area of responsibility.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
- Monitor protection risks and needs in project sites on a regular basis in alignment with project requirements.
- Collaborate with MEAL team to ensure monitoring activities are mainstreamed with protection and ensure protection of vulnerable groups while gathering appropriate and accurate data on protection outcomes;
- Develop internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges
- Lead the development of Protection assessments, with support from the Grants and MEAL Manager;
- Work closely with team to support the development of accountability activities, ensuring compliance with CHS.
Finance, Procurement and Administration
- Accountability for the management of Protection programme budgets (budget holder), with support from the Finance Manager and Head of Support Services;
- Ensure Protection Team raises Purchase Requests (PRs) in a timely manner, in-line with DRC standards, and follow-up procurement processed with the Supply Chain Manager;
- Ensure HR policies are followed, including completion of regular Performance Management Meetings, with all Protection staff;
- Ensure familiarity with DRC’s Operational Handbook;
- Proactively seek training from the Support Services Department on operational policies and processes for Protection team should gaps in understanding be apparent.
Coordination & Representation
- Support Area Manager and Head of Programme in identifying partnership opportunities and liaising with local partners concerning protection activities and implementation;
- In consultation with the Area Manager coordinate with national, local and international actors and participate in working groups and other sector meetings on protection related issues;
- Stay abreast of developments in the protection environment in Sudan and provide timely analysis on key issues on a regular basis.
- University degree or higher education in law, social sciences, or related field or equivalent work experience;
- At least 4 years of proven international experience in field-based protection in a range of settings
- Detailed understanding of humanitarian and protection principles and their application, including community safety and rights-based approaches
- Knowledge of protection standards and guidelines
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated experience and ability to professionally and appropriately represent the organization and negotiate and defend DRC’s interests with a diverse range of government officials, local organizations and other groups.
- Skills in Project Cycle Management and sound project management skills, including creating work plans, budgeting and delegation of responsibilities: sets clear milestones, organizes work and monitors progress in a dynamic and quick paced environment
- Ability to work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid environment: Cultural sensitivity and respectful of local contexts
- Proven experience in providing technical guidance and training including development of training materials
- Effectively engages and communicates with communities in a responsible manner and is aware of AAP principles
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Designation of Duty Station: Kadugli, South Kordofan State
Start date: ASAP
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 31 May 2023
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: