Special Assistant to Deputy Regional Director (Operations Services), CST 1, Cairo, Egypt 1
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Cairo
- Grade: Administrative support - Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP assists almost 100 million people in over 120 countries each year. WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations. Two-thirds of our work is in conflict-affected countries where people are three times more likely to be undernourished than those living in countries without conflict.
This full-time position will be based in the Regional Bureau (RBC) which covers WFP hunger-relief operations in 16 countries in the Middle East, North Africa and Eastern Europe. The post-holder will report to the Deputy Regional Director (DRD) in charge of Operations Services.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the DRD in the implementation of outreach strategies to WFP partners in the region including host governments, donors, UN and development partners and organizations and other organisations of strategic importance to WFP;
- Monitor the main success indicators for WFP operations in the region, particularly major emergencies, through situation reports, dashboards, pipeline reports, etc. and highlight issues for the DRD’s attention and resolution;
- Accompany DRD on duty travel within the region or beyond when required and coordinate the organization of the DRD’s missions with designated focal points in WFP Country Offices;
- Accompany DRD to meetings within and outside the organization, ensuring that DRD has necessary briefing material, talking points and updated and relevant agenda;
- Stay abreast of WFP operations, public policy trends and issues which impact hunger and food assistance in the region, conducting research where necessary, to contribute to horizon scanning of important developments socio-economic, environmental or political developments;
- Coordinate and manage preparations for RBC-hosted meetings, when required;
Reporting and briefing
- Review and ensure a high quality of corporate and donor reports, correspondence, briefings for WFP Executive Management and other documents, prior to DRD’s clearance and approval;
- Assure the quality of briefing notes that are provided to the DRD;
- Support the DRD in meetings, workshops and conferences and note for the record as required;
- Draft talking points, briefings, speeches, PowerPoint presentations, and outcome reports for the DRD for internal and external meetings, conferences, and other high-level events;
- Help to manage the DRD’s time, calendar and daily action follow-up required to the DRD
Perform other duties as required
- Work closely with staff from all RBC units and undertake other duties not listed here as required.
- Clear analysis and succinct, well-written reports on a range of issues, drafted from a range of sources
- Assurance of fact-checked and comprehensive briefs for the DRD’s clearance
- Ability to work independently or in an international team
- Ability to help prioritise and manage the overall DRD portfolio – to ensure that adequate support is provided up and down the office for overall effectiveness of the DRD Office
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced university degree in International Affairs, Economics, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance.
At least 3 years of relevant work experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
Understanding of the UN system, strong political analysis skills and excellent English writing skills. Experience supporting senior management.
Fluency (Level C) in English and Arabic languages
WHY WORK AT WFP
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world.
Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
How we deliver our mission in deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐
Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential.
WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about us!!
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Job Title: Special Assistant to Deputy Regional Director (Operations Services)
Type & Level of Contract: Consultancy Agreement
Duration & Start Date: 11 months with possible extension
Unit/Division: Management Office
Duty Station(City, Country): Regional Bureau in Cairo (RBC), Egypt
Reports To: Deputy Regional Director
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application no later than Tuesday 30 May 2023
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: