Social Innovation Analyst (NPSA9)
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Manila
- Grade: Junior level - NPSA-9, National Personnel Services Agreement
- Innovations for Sustainable Development
- Closing Date: 2023-05-29
In 2019, UNDP built the world’s largest and fastest learning network on sustainable development challenges by setting up 91 Accelerator Labs covering 115 countries. These labs aim to ignite progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through exploration, solutions mapping of grass roots innovations, and human-centered experimentation. The Accelerator Lab in the Philippines (ALab PH) has been exploring, mapping solutions, and testing these in various frontier development challenges, including local convergence, circular economy, sustainable cities, and inclusive, grass roots-based, and data-driven innovation.
UNDP ALab PH retains Four (4) Social Innovation Analysts, each of whom are mainly assigned to manage one of the following portfolios of innovations by, among others, following through on the progress of components experiments or initiatives, collaborating with UNDP programme and operations teams, engaging a broad range of external stakeholders, overseeing outputs of service providers, and documenting and disseminating knowledge and learnings from the portfolio:
- Circular Economy – with the Climate Action Programme and Pintig Lab, implement a portfolio of options that promotes a circular economy, where waste leakage is reduced through improved waste management and, more importantly, a radical rethinking of production and consumption systems so that waste is avoided in the first place.
- Local Convergence and Service Transformation – with the Institutions and Partnerships (I&P) Programme and Pintig Lab, follow through on various experiments that aim to find, test, and scale new ways of pursuing SDG localization through anticipatory, agile, and adaptable (AAA) governance, in partnership with local governments and civil society organizations (CSOs).
- Inclusive Value Chains for Local Development – with the I&P and Peace Programmes, unbundle local economic development issues—including informal livelihoods, food systems sustainability, and inequality—and facilitate multi-stakeholder design and experimentation on solutions aimed at ensuring that marginalized sectors are not left behind in prosperity.
UNDP ALab PH is recruiting one (1) Social Innovation Analyst primarily assigned to the Circular Economy portfolio but is also expected to collaborate and cross-pollinate learnings with other innovation portfolios.
The Social Innovation Analysts will directly report to the Head of Experimentation, of the Accelerator Lab Philippines and, in his stead or absence, the Head of Exploration and the Head of Solutions Mapping. The Team Leader of the Impact and Advisory Team (IAT) performs oversight on the outputs of ALab PH.
The Social Innovation Analysts shall work closely with the Pintig Lab (also under IAT) and with the Programme Team relevant to the portfolio being managed. The Social Innovation Analysts are expected to coordinate with government partners (national and local), CSOs, and other key partners.
Ensure strategic management of the project and provide day-to-day financial and administrative management for the delivery of the project’s activities focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support the overall social innovation activities of the Accelerator Lab that includes, among others, exploration, solutions mapping, and experimentation, including background research, organizing and facilitating meetings and activities to co-design experiments, project planning, etc.
- Manage the implementation of experiments, including tracking of tasks and deliverables, coordination within UNDP and with external stakeholders for required inputs and resources, contracting of and coordination with third-party service providers, etc.
- Monitor and evaluate the results of experiments, including the conduct of exploratory data analysis, field observation, interviews, and focus group discussions, etc.
- Ensure complete documentation of the experiments from planning to closure, including but not limited to production of monthly progress reports, contribution to Accelerator Lab reporting accountabilities, and filling out forms in the UNDP PH Knowledge and Innovation (KAI) Portal.
- Provide support in drafting terms of reference and support recruitment and management of a team of national and international consultants and subject matter experts.
- Support the project for creating specifications/ evaluation criteria etc.. related to procurement, subcontracting, and outsourcing of services etc.
- Assist partners in preparing their progress and financial reports for the project activities.
Develop and maintain effective working relationships and coordination with key counterparts to ensure the strategic positioning of UNDP, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Help ensure full alignment with UNDP PH Programme Teams by, among others, mapping existing programmes, projects, and activities that may be relevant to the experiments and ensure the relevant programme and project teams’ participation.
- Identify relevant external stakeholders (national and local government, development partners, civil society, private sector, academic partners, etc.) and map their various initiatives which may help inform the design, implementation, and evaluation of experiments.
- Identify potential opportunities, entry points, points of convergence with stakeholders, and other openings for scaling up of experiments in the future.
- Provide inputs and insights on strategy for consolidated offer to cities.
Efficient support to tasks related to advocacy, programming, monitoring and evaluation (M&E) focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Ensure the implementation of the communications and advocacy plan for the project.
- Establish suitable monitoring mechanisms and undertake regular monitoring and reporting on project progress, risks and constraints; updates the implementation plan as required.
- Promote accountability through effective programme results reporting (monthly, quarter, and annual progress and financial reports), to the UNDP, government counterparts and the Project Board; and
- Monitoring, reporting and evaluation of outputs and accomplishments towards the achievement of project intended outputs.
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain effective network with development partners and Government at regional level co-develop with ALab and other UNDP personnel knowledge products on an agreed upon frontier challenge which consolidates lessons learned from the various parallel experiments. The consultant may be asked to present findings in a national or regional platform as necessary.
- Ensure that relevant forms and attachments of the UNDP PH Knowledge and Innovation (KAI) Portal are filled out or uploaded.
- Review, analyze, and index related literature, including policies, academic research, data and other materials, and as needed translate or condense these into digestible formats.
- Help understand the evolving policy terrain on localization and urbanization by mapping issuances and pronouncements from UNDP and other relevant UN bodies, national and local government, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with ALab PH and other UNDP CO colleagues in drafting policy notes or briefs, blog posts, presentations, communication materials, and other materials.
- Maintain strategy notes, partner directories, partnership agreements, contracts, and other such important documents in ALab PH’s file system under the corporate SharePoint of UNDP.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the country office’s Local Government Engagement Strategy, including provision of inputs and other ad-hoc related tasks.
- Upon agreement, perform other tasks that may be assigned.
The above Scope of Work shall be performed by each Social Innovation Analyst mainly for his or her assigned portfolio (i.e. Circular Economy, Local Convergence, and Inclusive Value Chains) but may be assigned to support and lend his/her expertise the other portfolios as may be necessary.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
People Management Competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction and Strategy:
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
- Human-centered Design: Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
- Collective Intelligence Design: Ability to bringing together diverse groups of people, data, information or ideas, and technology to design services or solutions
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, general design, technology & innovation, social sciences, sociology, development economics, community development, public administration, management, communication, innovation, or other related fields; or
- Advance university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in the above fields is an advantage.
- Minimum of four (4) years' work experience for bachelor's degree holder and two (2) years for Advanced degree holder in the field of design, planning, implementing, coordinating, monitoring, and/or evaluating development programs and projects and/or innovation and social impact enterprises or projects.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Data Analysis: Ability to set goals and indicators and to interpret and synthesize results into usable information to inform policy, strategy, and/or action.
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Ability to engage with other agencies, and other development stakeholders inside or outside the organizations and forge productive working relationships.
- Working experience with the UNDP or UN international organizations is an advantage
- With preference to those who have taken similar positions.
- At least 1 year experience in the use of social innovation tools and developing knowledge products, narrative content, designs, and other communication outputs in various platform.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Filipino is required.